the scanning process just stops without finishing process

The best solution for finding and removing duplicate files.
thesmartlife

the scanning process just stops without finishing process

Post by thesmartlife »

Hello. I tried to scan my Qnap-NAS-Drive with 600 GB ... Duplicate Cleaner could not finish action ... the scanning process just stops ... now and then there is an out of memory error message ... can you give me advice/support?
DigitalVolcano
Site Admin

Re: the scanning process just stops without finishing proces

Post by DigitalVolcano »

Sorry you are having trouble.
Which version and scanning mode of Duplicate Cleaner are you using? do you know how many files it is trying to process?
Thanks
thesmartlife

Post by thesmartlife »

Duplicate Cleaner Pro 3.2.3
same content - ca. 600 GB - 400.000 Files??
GrandizerGo

Post by GrandizerGo »

Since I installed 3.2.3 64Bit I also can not get a scan to complete although I do not get an error message, the scan window basically just locks up says not responding at the top and I need to do a Task Manager shutdown of the program. I am scanning a directory with less than 4000 files in it spread out over 5 folders, I have an I7 CPU with 8GB's and Windows 7 64Bit.
The previous version was able to handle 100,000 and more files without a problem so I am leaning towards a bug creeping into the newest version.
Also the program can take over 2 minutes to shutdown. WHY? That makes no sense at all.

And as an update, after NOT working since installed 2 days after 3.2.3 came out, it works now. Yes less than 30 minutes after I posted the above message.
The ONLY thing I did was to click on tabs to see what was selected on other tabs I have NEVER used before. I do not have music on the machine and am NEVER interested in a similar jpg scan. I changed NOTHING in those tabs and went back and deselected the folder I was scanning with the 6 subfolders, I then did one at a time, adding one folder after each succesful scan. I was able to do the entire subfolders structures. I have not tried the parent folder though.

Be right back...
And it worked right away as well. Very strange. I wonder if something from the 3.2.2 version was not compatible with the new 3.2.3? Once I clicked on the tabs, did I rewrite a file?
Shutdown of the program still takes a long time though, 45 plus seconds.
thesmartlife

Post by thesmartlife »

I tried it again with version 3.2.3,, scanning process shows no more activity after 6,7% of 519.298 files (486 GB),, I had to shut down by task manager???
nerdshowandtell

Post by nerdshowandtell »

Having the same issue.. Scan process just freezes when scanning a mapped network drive containing just 10,951 files. It freezes up just 80 files in. Window goes to not responding, and never recovers, progresses.

6core 64bit win7 machine, 8gb ram.

Just purchased this program a week ago to help clean-up my archives. It can't even get through this small selection of files.
nerdshowandtell

Post by nerdshowandtell »

I took a look at the Windows Task Manager when running one of these scans that freezes up. It looks like right when it starts to freeze the memory usage for DuplicateCleaner.exe skyrockets! It jumps from around 33,900k'sh and continues to climb until I kill the application.. Using up all the memory of my system and then some. Example, 4,000,000K+ .. It looks like it may be something to do with certain files. I'm trying to narrow it down to see if I can find a file that causes this issue. I'm also experimenting with different types of scan methods, etc (Md5 vs byte - byte, etc), to see if it will get through the scan or not.

Any other suggestions would be great!

Thanks!
therube

Post by therube »

> Md5 vs byte - byte, etc

Skip that part of it for now.
Start out simpler; just by name & see if that completes successfully.
And if so, then add other options in until it breaks. Name & some size range or something like that.
DigitalVolcano
Site Admin

Post by DigitalVolcano »

Try limiting the maximum file size to 1GB (1048576K) in the Search filters section. It could be a pair of huge files that is causing the slowdown. See if this helps.