Duplicate Cleaner 1.4 Beta available for download

The best solution for finding and removing duplicate files.
DV

Post by DV »

Thanks Fabio and Aid for the comments - will look into getting some of this into 1.4.

XP sp1 may not have the C runtimes for the MD5 DLL. Looking into getting these statically linked at compile time. In theory it should work with the runtimes here-
http://www.microsoft.com/DOWNLOADS/deta ... laylang=en

Aid

Post by Aid »

Thanks for the info on the runtime, that makes sence.

Couple of other observations; the image preview button opens a blank (white) box. Right clicking image preview works fine. Also if you stop a "go scan" then the dupe list is empty (even if some were reported in the dialog), but the scaned files and zero length lists are populated.

Also, I love the "insert path" button in the new Master selection assistant - similar buttons could be useful by the two fields(file/path) just above also.
DV

Post by DV »

Beta download updated
-A few bugfixes
-MD5 DLL has been recompiled and will hopefully be more compatible.
Aid

Post by Aid »

The new version works fine now on XP SP1 :)

Couple more observations. 1) If there are a lot of groups from which all files will be removed the warning dialog box doesn't show the last important line of text saying "warning, are you sure you want to delete all the files" - the group list needs to be limited to a shorter length, otherwise a novice used will read the dialog as 'confirm you want to delete this list' and will loose data. 2) If the path/file name are too long (UNC) the hash returned is -1 but the files still show on the dupe list and really shouldn't otherwise they may be deleted in error.

The earlier comment I made about refreshing the dupe list without calculating the hash (ie does file still exist check) would be really useful. I'm getting about 160ish delete errors when removing around 9000 files, and they have infact been deleted, but still show as selected in the list. The files were on a share so maybe a network glitch / race condition causes them to not get reported properly as deleted. I'll try similar on the server itself and let you know. The file check feature would also be useful when reading back in a csv dupe list previously saved.
DV

Post by DV »

Thanks for the comments Aid.
I'll add a limiter to the dialog box.
The -1 hash issue should have been fixed in the upload above. (v1.4.1)
I'll check the delete issue too and make sure the system is not misinterpreting a non-error return code.

Aid

Post by Aid »

Confirmed, the -1 hashes don't show now for the over length file names.

Re the delete errors; I worked this out. Some (a few) files were locked by the OS and couldn't be removed manually either, but as to why I've now idea, especially given I just copied the data for testing only, so they weren't in use.

However, the bulk of the delete errors are down to the special way in which windows deals with saved web pages. When saving web pages (in IE6 I guess given the age of my files) there is a .htm and a folder (or set of sub folders) containing the linked graphics etc. So when selecting a bunch of duplicates the .htm is often removed first, and the OS automatically deletes the associated folder... so when the tool tries to delete these files a second later they are already gone!

I suggest that when getting a delete error a check is made to see if the files are in a sub folder of the same named .htm that was already deleted, and then the "soft" errors are ignored and the files dropped from the list as they have been deleted.

A quick google gave this interesting discussion http://eraser.heidi.ie/trac/ticket/61 and it seems windows doesn't have any clever link between the .htm and the folder, so there is a possability of a user loosing data if they are unlucky enough to have moved/created folders or added content to the folders etc as windows doesn't know any better and just does a simple name match and deletes!

Hope this helps, and thanks for the great tool!

PS one other quick wish list item, maybe add an option to invert the operation of the Master list selector - ie if over a period of time I've copied a bunch of files to my desktop that are properly filed elsewhere I could select all the files on the desktop that are duplicates and delete them. Using the current path selector option, as I found out, doesn'tachieve quite the same result as it selects everything on the desktop and sub folders which may mean there isn't a copy elsewhere - yes I did get the popup warning when I hit delete thankfully :)
DV

Post by DV »

Beta Update to 1.4.2 - same download location
-

Changelog - v1.4.1, v1.4.2 beta

fixed -1 error md5 fix
fixed rename overwrite bug
fixed tab orders
fixed group warning messagebox overflow
Already deleted files are removed from list during delete operation, and no error is generated.
CTRL-A to select all rows on duplicate list
F5 will refresh the duplicate list and remove any moved/deleted or orphaned files from the list.
Column re-order allowed on duplicate list (will crash if .manifest file missing from application folder though)
Protects 32-bit (x86) Program Files folder on 64-bit system

GK

Post by GK »

Thanks man keep the good work.
Seb

Post by Seb »

Thanks for this tool.
I try the beta because need mapped network drives to be scanned.
A very well option I don't find, will be a system that paused the work, or when the computer crash, the program can resume the work.

Scuse my poor english... do you understand my idea ?
Jeph

Post by Jeph »

Been using your great software eversince i discovered it late last year.
One thing i noticed the other week using 1.3 release,
it doesn't seem to recognize hidden folder/files particularly thumbnail cache files and files with Asian fonts (japanese).
It would be nice for language plug-ins to be added and a check box option to search hidden folder/files.

Also maybe another check box option to protect saved webpage folders (ex. offline_webpage_files folder).
Since i don't have 24/7 connection, i save webpages for later reading.
I often get worried in scanning folders with offline website pages that maybe i won't be able to properly open them when DuplicateCleaner might include them in deletion of duplicates.

I love the other guys' suggestions specially Fabio's on 64-bit version.

Thank you very much for a very useful software and keep up the good work.