Bug? Cannot mark a folder on the Dup Folder Tab

The best solution for finding and removing duplicate files.
HiTechHiTouch

Bug? Cannot mark a folder on the Dup Folder Tab

Post by HiTechHiTouch »

Not sure how you're going to reproduce this. We're dealing with a large folder tree here -- 1.074 folders 42,985 files 61.4 GB

I scanned in Image mode, 92%, same file name. There were 169 Folder Groups, 33481 Duplicate Files.

Question: Did a content compare also take place, or were only the file names examined? The program did spend a lot of time counting off files making "metrics".

I started on the duplicate files panel, where I mass selected all files in and below "F:\Photos\Photos to Sort".

Realizing that I would be more productive with the Duplicate Folder tab. Switching over there, I marked a few folders for deletion (not marking "F:\Photos to Delete").

Then I accidentally marked a folder I didn't want deleted, so I started searching for a way to un-mark a folder. Finding no way, I eventually clicked "Refresh Folders", and all my marks disappeared from the Dup Folder tab.

Switching back to the Dup File tab to check, I see that files in folders I marked from Dup Folders still remain marked. Refresh reset the display on Dup Folders, but didn't un-mark anything on Dup Files.

Confusion to the user. What Dup Folders says is no longer marked is still marked on Dup Files. (I see that I'll have to rerun the scan to reset everything...)

Now the bug:

Switching back to the clean Dup Folders tab, I can mark some folders but not others. Right click-mark is ignored for some, and the customary message box does not appear. Right click-mark works for others, and I see the msg box.

I do not see a pattern.

For folders I can mark, doing so also marks them on Dup Folders tab.

For folders I can not mark, I do not find any files already marked on the Dup Files.

Warning: the Dup File list is sooooooo big and there isn't a "Find Text" function, so I won't swear to the above.
DigitalVolcano
Site Admin

Re: Bug? Cannot mark a folder on the Dup Folder Tab

Post by DigitalVolcano »

HiTechHiTouch wrote: Question: Did a content compare also take place, or were only the file names examined? The program did spend a lot of time counting off files making "metrics".
Yes, The Image mode always compares for similar images. If you just want to compare file names you are better off using Standard mode and selecting 'Ignore content'.

When marking files/folders the main duplicate file list is king. All file deletions are driven off this. The duplicate folder list is a 'helper', which marks the relevent files on the duplicate files list.
HiTechHiTouch wrote: Then I accidentally marked a folder I didn't want deleted, so I started searching for a way to un-mark a folder. Finding no way, I eventually clicked "Refresh Folders", and all my marks disappeared from the Dup Folder tab.
Switching back to the Dup File tab to check, I see that files in folders I marked from Dup Folders still remain marked. Refresh reset the display on Dup Folders, but didn't un-mark anything on Dup Files.
The 'refresh folders' rebuilds the duplicate folder list. This is to be used after deleting files to update the folder list. The red highlists are just an indicator of what you have been previously marking, and unfortunately these are lost during the refresh. The actual marks on the duplicate files list are untouched.
HiTechHiTouch wrote: Now the bug:
Switching back to the clean Dup Folders tab, I can mark some folders but not others. Right click-mark is ignored for some, and the customary message box does not appear. Right click-mark works for others, and I see the msg box.
The message box only appears when files have been marked off. If the files were already marked it doesn't show (you'd already marked them, but lost the highlight).

----
In summary, this way of working isn't ideal (it can be confusing), and we are looking at ways to make the relationship between the two lists more obvious.