Deleting

The best solution for finding and removing duplicate files.
drsjr58

Deleting

Post by drsjr58 »

Hello. I have used Duplicate Cleaner many times. After doing the scan, I put a checkmark next to the items I want to delete and leave the box open for items I want to keep. When I am finished choosing what I want to delete and what to keep, I click the final part of the process, I wait for the checked items to be deleted. Instead of keeping the items I wish to keep, EVERYTHING is deleted. Checked and unchecked. I have had to start from scratch twice now. It is time-consuming, frustrating, and I don't want items deleted that I have chosen to keep. Thanks.
DigitalVolcano
Site Admin

Re: Deleting

Post by DigitalVolcano »

Are you sure it isn't just removing the single file groups from the list after the delete? This is the default behaviour.
Uncheck Settings->General->Automatically hide duplicate groups when one file remaining

see
https://www.digitalvolcano.co.uk/duplic ... =&sct=MzA2
drsjr58

Post by drsjr58 »

Thanks.

As in the past, I check the box of each file I wish to remove. Doing so inserts a strikethrough line for that file across the board. I expect these files to be deleted. Alternatively, I do not check the box of files I wish to keep. But when I delete, everything is deleted. (I go through each group by choosing which I wish to keep [unchecked], if any, and check the boxes of duplicates that I want removed.)

I have unchecked "Automatically hide single file duplicate groups." I cannot find "Automatically hide duplicate groups when one file remaining". My format may be different from the current version. (I have 4.1.2) Anyway, I trust this will leave the unchecked files and remove those that were checked, so only unchecked files appear on the list. If there is a problem, I'll let you know.

I am grateful for your quick help. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.
DigitalVolcano
Site Admin

Post by DigitalVolcano »

Yes, that'll work for version 4. Note the unchecked files aren't deleted with this option enabled, they are just dropped from the list as the program no longer considers them duplicates.
drsjr58

Post by drsjr58 »

Hi. I hope you get this. I cannot seem to find the place for new posts.

How do I allow Duplicate Cleaner Pro 4.1.2 to automatically mark duplicates found in a search, but leave one in each group? I think I've done this before but can't seem to remember.

Can you, in a nutshell, tell me the difference between 4.1.2 and the most recent version? I know you're busy, so if you don't have time, I will look around.

Thank you.

Hoping you New Year is off to a good start.

Doug
DigitalVolcano
Site Admin

Post by DigitalVolcano »

You can use the Selection Assistant to mark all but one in each group
See-
https://www.digitalvolcano.co.uk/duplic ... =&sct=OTU=

Comparison of versions:
https://www.digitalvolcano.co.uk/dcfeatures.html