Scan Location Modes on Duplicate Cleaner 5

The best solution for finding and removing duplicate files.
crouchingbadger

Scan Location Modes on Duplicate Cleaner 5

Post by crouchingbadger »

Hi,

I just bought Duplicate Cleaner 5.17.2 (Win10 64bit) to help me with a big horrible job where I managed to combine my wife's Google Photos stream with mine into one big quota-eating mess of downscaled images :-O

My plan was to take Google Takeout of the files and delete any where there was an original already on my NAS, leaving the wife's photos separate. So far so good.

I tried using the Scan Location tab "File Duplicates" column dropdowns but the Master and Master+External Only settings appear to make no difference. I followed another forum thread to lock the drive containing originals and this has achieved the outcome I want, or at least stopped me deleting the originals by accident. But I still can't understand those Scan Location settings.

I used the interactive help, but it didn't fully explain the modes. I used the PDF at https://www.duplicatecleaner.com/manual ... =&sct=MA== but this is for an older version with mode settings that I personally found easier to use. The videos are for older versions and just cover the basic use cases. When will the v5 online manual be published?

A request for the manual: Could you visualise the different match criteria and modes in a picture please? I am having real difficulty figuring out how they should work or if they actually work at all.

Thanks!
therube

Re: Scan Location Modes on Duplicate Cleaner 5

Post by therube »

I'll just point out that DC5 has "built-in" help (the '?' in the program or you can open "Duplicate Cleaner 5 help.chm" directly).

If you are looking for "exact" (content) duplicates, a Regular mode search, by Same Content, will be faster, then the other modes (Image, Audio, Video). So if you're looking at 2 sets of the same pictures, simply do a Regular mode Same Content search (rather then Image), will be quicker.