Selection Path to Find Dupes

The best solution for finding and removing duplicate files.
llarosa16

Selection Path to Find Dupes

Post by llarosa16 »

Hello,

I tried looking through the forum but failed because I am not sure how to word the problem I am having which I am sure is a simple one. I also read the manual and it did not address this from what I can tell. I apologize for this.

I have all my music on an external hard drive.

G:\itunes\ - when I scan for duplicates at this level, it finds none in it's sub-folders.

G:\Itunes\AC-DC\Back in Black - when I search at this level is finds all the duplicates. However, the whole reason I purchased a duplicate finder is so I would not have to go through and hand pick my duplicate files in folders. What am I missing?

I want to choose G:\itunes\ and let it find all the duplicates in the sub-folders, but it is not doing it.

Thanks for any guidance.

Lisa
therube

Re: Selection Path to Find Dupes

Post by therube »

Do you have scanning of Subfolders enabled?

Post the contents of your log file from your last unsuccessful scan.
View | View Log File...

Might you have a conflict in your Search Paths; something excluded, negating other inclusions?
llarosa16

Post by llarosa16 »

Oddly enough, I cannot get the view log to create a log. It just stay greyed out. The sub-folders scan is checked as well. I am relatively tech savvy but this is baffling to me! Any other ideas? From what I can tell, the path is correct, normal.
therube

Post by therube »

You may have to go to Options | More Options -> General => Log (checkbox), first?

Are you doing a Regular or Audio mode search?

What version of Duplicate Cleaner?

Your G: drive, anything special?
DigitalVolcano
Site Admin

Post by DigitalVolcano »

Your iTunes folder may be on a virtual link - you could try unchecking the 'Don't follow NTFS mountpoints and junctions' option.
llarosa16

Post by llarosa16 »

Ok I am making headway. After trying a combination of things I was able to see all the duplicates. Now, how do I tell it to select more than one at a time? Or do I have to pick through 12,000 files, which is exactly what I did not want to have to do and why I bought this. :) I am sure it is something I am doing.
Thanks!
Lisa
DigitalVolcano
Site Admin

Post by DigitalVolcano »

You can use the selection assistant - this can help you mark large amounts of files. For instance, with audio you can mark each group by lowest bitrate (keep highest)
http://www.duplicatecleaner.com/manual/ ... =&sct=MTEx

You can also use the duplicate folder view to pick out duplicate folders - this is a fast way to remove entire duplicated folder structures, if you have any.
llarosa16

Post by llarosa16 »

Thanks you guys, I did see that, it is just is new technology thinking and I am having a hard time understanding what it is I am doing. I'll play with it some more. I appreciate your help very much.

Lisa