problem with large disks or Win64?

The best solution for finding and removing duplicate files.
Moz

problem with large disks or Win64?

Post by Moz »

I ran duplicate cleaner on a 3TB disk under Vista64 and it eventually hung with a message ending "control has been deleted". There were 300000-odd files listed at that point. I used process explorer to kill it as the standard windows quit command didn't work.

Does Duplicate Cleaner actually work with large disks that have lots of duplicate files on them? I'm trying to merge a bunch of backups and archives without losing files, so my idea is just to copy them all onto the big disk and delete the duplicates. Problem is that many have been renamed (music and video files especially). So a tool like this would be ideal... if it didn't just thrash the disk for 24 hours then crash.
DV

Post by DV »

It does work on fairly large filesystems, however there are limits due to the older application framework that DC uses. You need to either scan the filesystem in smaller chunks, or wait for duplicate Cleaner 2.0 which should handle anything!
A Hacker

Post by A Hacker »

Hi. I was trying to dedupe a 1TB chunk of files and was running into the same error. Initially I thought it was due to sheer amount of files but it turned out it was a problem with a particular file. I think it was due to a file of around 1kB in size which was in hundreds or thousands of copies on the disk. I haven't established for sure what the file was.

To solve the problem I was scanning using (quite many) file size ranges.