Image Preview now slower with multiple images showing

The best solution for finding and removing duplicate files.
paniccom

Image Preview now slower with multiple images showing

Post by paniccom »

I just tried the upgrade from free v2 to v3 and I see a huge slowdown when using the new image preview compared to v2 preview, which just showed a single, larger image. When comparing large amounts of photos, say you have 12 dupes of a photo. You highlight the first one, activate image preview, and the photo loads, followed by 12 thumbnail sized pics. These take time to load, and although I trust the program, I found it more effective to have a larger single image shown, then use the arrow keys to scroll down the 12 dupe files and watch the large image for any change. Now, I show the main image and 4 thumbnails (you can scroll sideways in the preview box to see the other 8 thumbnails). As you scroll down the 12 dupe files now, after the fourth file, the main image has to reload each time, all the way to the 12th image. Since I watch the image for minute changes, it's difficult to determine if the same file is displaying if you have very similar photos, say from a rapidly shot series of photos. I had tried the trial version of v3 before it went free and didn't like this new preview box and was hoping it wouldn't be in the new free version. In fact, I would have purchased v3 at the time if the multi-thumbnails could be switched off since I liked other things about v3 compared to v2 free. Now that v3 free is out, with the same preview, I'll have to stick to free v2 unless an on-off thumbnail option is added.
DigitalVolcano
Site Admin

Re: Image Preview now slower with multiple images showing

Post by DigitalVolcano »

Thanks for the comments. There are some speed ups in the image viewer in the upcoming v3.0.7. Turning off the thumbnail view is also a good idea - I'll put this on the to-do list.