Delete duplicate Folders

The best solution for finding and removing duplicate files.
leemailbox1

Delete duplicate Folders

Post by leemailbox1 »

I have dozens of FOLDERS that have the identical name and that contain the identical files (about 200 files in each folder). I want to keep only one Folder. Since deleting by file will take forever, how can I search for duplicate Folders and then delete entire Folders at one time? Thanks!!
therube

Re: Delete duplicate Folders

Post by therube »

Many ways to go about it.
All depends on circumstances.

If you know the names of the directories (say, /mailbox1/) & you know the files are dups - without actually checking, then simply a matter of finding all the /mailbox1/ directories, & deleting all but one of them.

Everything can very easily & very quick find all the directories named /mailbox1/, simply select them en-mass & Delete (remembering to leave one).

If you needed to actually check the folders for dups, DC does not deal directly with folders, but with files. Though after you've identified the duplicated files, & perhaps depending on the directory structure, something as simple as right-clicking on one of the dups & working with one of the 'Mark' options. Otherwise the 'Selection Assistant' may afford some help.