Cannot delete file

The best solution for finding and removing duplicate files.
dv2

Post by dv2 »

dbm21c - Can you try the 2.0 beta?
CWJ

Post by CWJ »

Using Version 2. The duplicates are found, then when trying to delete (leaving one in each group)I get message that "there are delete errors 0 files deleted" I have changed the delete to bypass the recycle bin, as well as changed properties of recycle bin but nothing fixes the problem. I am searching 250 GB of files and have found as many as 30,000 duplicates which seems correct - am I working with too large of file ? Please advise.
Steve

Post by Steve »

I had this problem using version 2 of DC, on a windows 7 64-bit system.

Turning off folder-sharing seems to have solved it; you can make this change while the DC file list of duplicates is still open...

Hope this helps!
James

Post by James »

First of all, i like the program and think it's extremely well done... so far...

I too can't get some files to delete under Win7 x64, and there is no sharing going on.. :)
DV

Post by DV »

Currently working on an update which gives extended information about delete errors - this should help track down the problems.
ALeXceL

Post by ALeXceL »

Hi, DV & all.
I realized that "deleting errors" are returned on trying to delete Read Only files. So the solution is to place an option like "Ignore Read Only file property on deleting" and putting it on exe code.

Anyway, this become a "must have"software for me.
James

Post by James »

Glad to hear there will be an update... I'm pretty much stuck at this point. Everytime I try to delete something I end up getting the same message.

n files had delete errors
0 files deleted

I'm running Win7 Pro x64 if that helps.
James

Post by James »

Ooops. I Forgot. I wanted to ask if there was an expected release date.

Soon I hope, but thanks again for a great product!
James

Post by James »

Just wanted to let everyone know that I found one work around. If you make sure the the files are not marked as "READ ONLY" there's no trouble deleting what you want.

Not sure if this is the problem, but it worked for me so it might work for others.
Fool4UAnyway

Post by Fool4UAnyway »

"Why doesn't the guy in the TV respond to what I say? I can hear him talking, I pay attention, but when I speak he just seems to ignore me!"

Most pages on websites are read-only: you can read their contents, but not change or rewrite them or add anything to it. There may be some functionality to add something or to post a message, but you can't do this directly.

When a file is marked as read-only, it means it can only be read from. You can't change (overwrite, rewrite or clear) or append to it. Those files usually are marked as read-only to secure their contents and/or to prevent them from being deleted.

In Windows Explorer, when you try to delete a file that is marked read-only, you may be asked to confirm that you really want to delete the read-only file.

Duplicate Cleaner currently doesn't seem to handle this, but I believe I have read a next version will add functionality to achieve this.