Exclude-list doesn't work

Tool for Search and Replace across multiple files.
CoRrRan

Exclude-list doesn't work

Post by CoRrRan »

I've got a search routine through folders containing text-files up to 70MB.

I have excluded these files in the "Exclude"-list as follows: *.db;*.xdb;*.for

However, TextCrawler gives the following error:
"Rear Error
Error Reading C:\Temp\folder1\folder2\filename.for"

In other words, although I have excluded these files from processing, they still raise an error in the program.

TextCrawler v2.0.3822.29558
CoRrRan

Post by CoRrRan »

In other news: I thoroughly enjoy this program! Very useful.
Fool4UAnyway

Post by Fool4UAnyway »

Could it be that the Exclude field does not allow multiple types, like the "Include" field does?

Perhaps if you try only "*.for", will that work?

You may, then, try and specifically enter only all file types to be included in the "Include" field.
DV

Post by DV »

It does work with multiples - i tried pasting in the list above and at work at excluding .for files. Not sure why it is trying to process them - the only thing I can think of is you are running on a list of files (including .for) with the 'in marked files only' option set. In this case the filters are ignored.

It shouldn't Read Error on a 70MB file unless the file is corrupt either, but that is a separate issue.
CoRrRan

Post by CoRrRan »

Nope, didn't set that "in marked files only".

I also know that multiple files do work, I had already successfully excluded 2 other file types.

Did find a 'work-around' for my problem:
1. Set "Exclude"-list
2. Exit TextCrawler
3. Start TextCrawler
4. Run search
5. Profit!
Fool4UAnyway

Post by Fool4UAnyway »

That's kind of interesting. This just won't work in one pass, setting the Exclude list and then perform the search?

Could you try to change the order of the excluded file types and see if that works? Try, for instance, *.db;*.for;*.xdb
CoRrRan

Post by CoRrRan »

OK, I tried it again today and I definitely get the same errors.

Consequently, after REMOVING the last excluded item from the Exclusion-list, TextCrawler again doesn't update that list and continues to run searches excluding the file type I just removed from the Exclusion-list.

Restarting TextCrawler and running the search then (because the program DOES remember the previous setting for the Exclusion-list) actually DOES include the previously excluded files again.
DV

Post by DV »

I can't replicate this bug - even if i change one letter in the exclude string and hit find it searches with the updated exclusion.

Which settings are you using? Batch, extract or normal?

CoRrRan

Post by CoRrRan »

I am running both "Standard" as well as "Regular Expression" searches using the standard "Find" button. These are the options that I have checked:
1. File Filter: *.*
2. Exclude: *.db;*.xdb;*.for
3. Start Location: C:\Temp\
4. Scan subfolders: checked
5. Cache File List: checked
6. Any type of RegEx/Standard search pattern
7. All RegEx options unchecked
8. 74 folders (subfolders included)
9. Approx 500~600 files, of which majority <5KB, but approx. 20 files >15MB, with 5 exceeding 65MB. (Those are the ones that I want to exclude from the search, but TextCrawler continues to pop up with that error message.)

I appreciate if you can't replicate the issue, I can always restart the program once I change my exclusion list.
DV

Post by DV »

I think I know what this is - Cache file list. Try it with it unticked. The file list is meant to be refreshed if any search parameters are changed, but I'm guessing that a change in Exclusion filters isn't triggering the refresh. (bug to fix!)

Unless you are working with huge directory structures and many files it's probably worth having the caching turned off.