TextCrawler 2.0 Beta available for trying out

Tool for Search and Replace across multiple files.
DV

TextCrawler 2.0 Beta available for trying out

Post by DV »

After much work, the TextCrawler 2.0 beta is now available for interested parties to try out. It works fully, but as with any beta software be sure to back up important data first before letting it loose.
More features may be added before the final release, and then this will be a platform to build upon with hopefully more regular updates than the previous version.

The download consists of a single zipped executable. There is currently no installer or setup program. You need the Microsoft .NET 3.5 platform installed to run this, which most modern Windows machines should have. If not, download here-http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/deta ... 8D977D32A6

http://www.digitalvolcano.co.uk/downloa ... 2_beta.zip

So, download, extract into a folder and it is ready to run.

Rumbo

Post by Rumbo »

Hey,

thanks a lot for the beta.
I tested some stuff on my Win7 x64 system and so far everything works fine, replaces correct and is fun to use.
Thumbs up!

I noticed only small things that could be improved:

a) In the RegularExpression tab the tab order of textbox items is not like one would expect it.
When I'm in the upper textbox (the one that is named "Reg.Ex") and hit TAB then the focus should move to the "Replace" textbox but it doesn't.
In the "Standard" tab this works like it should.

b) In the Text-Edit windows the [-] button on the right is a little to close to the edge of the window

c) When I have the Scratchpad open and continue using the main window then the scratchpad window goes to the background.
I can still access it by using the corresponding taskbar button but this is easily overlooked when you have a lot of applications open. Instead I tried using the scratchpad button (the lower left button below the big T in the main window) or choosing "View Scratchpad" in the menu but those just do nothing (because the window is already there but in the background).

Would it be possible that using the button or menu returns the window to the foreground?
dv

Post by dv »

Good points thanks.
Need to sort out tab-ordering throughout. I'll look at the scratchpad button too. An 'always on top' option might be useful.
Remon

Post by Remon »

Great work!

There are a lot of strange signs in my output window:
�make�you�dejected�and�unhappy�the�next.�
(the "?" in my output window are little squares).

I would also like to see a bit more text on the same line and around the search term. Is this possible?

Tnx.

ps: if you enter the wrong security code and click on "here" or the back button, your text is gone.
Many people won't rewrite the same message and leave the forum.
dv

Post by dv »

You strange signs might mean that the Preview font doesn't support some characters found in your search - You can try changing the font in the options.

Also in the options ('Preview' tab) you can alter the 'Max chars before/after the preview text' option - this should do what you want.

The forum should use cookies to remember the text when you mistype the code - could be a setting on your browser.
Remon

Post by Remon »

I have the same font as in 1.0.6 (arial 10) and do not have any problem in 1.0.6. I checked both programs side by side. 1.0.6 has no little squares in preview window (same documents).

I like the new interface, specially the visible Scan subfolders check box. The preview window is now a bit smaller. Maybe you can remove a bit of space between the various sections.
I would like also to have the possibility to make the search term in preview window bold.
Remon

Post by Remon »

one more question:
would it be possible to add a "Undo" feature?
(ctrl-z)
Remon

Post by Remon »

I changed the highlight background in options but it is not adapted in "Test Regular Expressions" window.
dv

Post by dv »

It does, but you need to click update or type something for the text to refresh.
DV

Post by DV »

I've updated the beta on the server.
Changes:
Tab Order behaviour improved.
Scratchpad/Regex Test window now pop to front when called.
Centre bar area narrowed
Full control over the preview and highlight font settings.