TextCrawler 2.0 Beta available for trying out

Tool for Search and Replace across multiple files.
Highend

Post by Highend »

Ok,

thanks you DV!

--
Highend
DV

Post by DV »

New Version uploaded
Version 2.0.3776.25313 BETA

-Updated encoding detection - Can now distinguish between ANSI and UTF-8 without BOM/Signature files.
-Import Regex/Batch now detects encoding type
-Internal editor line ending type option (defaults to CR/LF)
-Added some menu icons
Rumbo

Post by Rumbo »

Just tested replacing and importing with different encodings and umlauts: everything works fine. Good job!
once_again

Post by once_again »

Tried to download the latest beta version but keep getting a 404. Can you please provide the correct link?
DV

Post by DV »

I uploaded a newer version, then realised it was missing the menu bar, so i removed it.
I will re-upload the last version soon, while i figure out how to fix the current one... I need to get better with source code backups!
once_again

Post by once_again »

Just a hint: sometimes a version tracker can be a big help, you can always go one step back and/or commit changes. Mercurial (free open source software) for example.
DV

Post by DV »

Version 2.0.3778.23456 BETA
Uploaded.
-File scan now skips inaccessable folders.
-Misc bugfixes.
Highend

Post by Highend »

It's nearly perfect (for my needs)!

One small feature suggestion:

File - Options - Replace

An additional option for a backup directory for the .bak files. It could be a fixed one (all backuped files are going to e.g. (d:\backups) or a relative one (e.g. .\bak which puts all .bak files into a subdir for all replaced files respecting their directory structure).

If it's too much work for you, disregard it :)

Regards,
Highend
george

Post by george »

James, you are a badass! I have been looking for YEARS for a decent utf-8 regex batch replace, and this one actually works without mangling text. Will post bugs if I find them. Thanks!

I particularly like that \n backreference matches the clause and not the matched text. I see that you changed your default to utf-8 inistead of ansi - good move - so many utf-8 without bom's, and would require another utility...
Rumbo

Post by Rumbo »

> .23456

Very suspicious. Someday you'll have to explain your version numbering :-)

One minor GUI improvement suggestion:
do those two input elements (the top one with the two tabs and the bottom one with the four tabs) have to stand out that much?
In my first try I searched desperately for the Find/Replace/Extract buttons because they look tiny below those two areas. Maybe those tab-holders would look nicer in a more "flat" mode and as a bonus that would make the buttons below appear more important. Just a thought.