TextCrawler 2.0 Beta available for trying out

Tool for Search and Replace across multiple files.
Ivan

Post by Ivan »

Thank you one more time. I've downloaded and unpacked the new version successfully. Your TextCrawler is really great. Especially since it became a support utf8 :) I like it very much.
JW

Post by JW »

I like it as well :)

Two feature requests:

- Portable version (that stores the settings file in the directory from where TextCrawler.exe was executed)
- An option (e.g. in the config file) to disable the nag screen on startup

Keep up the good work,

Regards,
JW
theutmost

Post by theutmost »

Hi there!
I was excited to see V2 now has support for multiple folders!

Unfortunately, I'm getting an error message when I try to do a standard find & replace for string 10.99.99.1 -> 10.99.99.50

Error building file list: Arithmetic operation resulted in an overflow.

Version 2.0.3734.25436 BETA

My start location is set to:
\\Poslane01\C\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\SyncroPlus

I have full admin rights to the UNC path and am not being prompted for credentials. Such an edit works fine with v1.1.4 installed on the same PC. I have .Net FW 3.5 SP1 installed.

Any ideas what the problem might be?

My ideal useage scenario is to be able to search in multiple UNC NETWORK locations:
\\Poslane01\C\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\SyncroPlus
\\Poslane02\C\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\SyncroPlus
\\Poslanexx\C\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\SyncroPlus

And do a find/replace inside multiple file types (*.txt;*.xml) for the IP address of a server (10.99.99.1 -> 10.99.99.50)

AND to be able to save ALL those settings into a project/config file that can be moved to a different PC/installation of TextCrawler

I see the Batch Command function lets me save/load the find/replace info, but I'd also love a way to save/load both the "multiple folders/start location" info and the "extension filter(s)" info

Is this possible/planned?
Cheers,
tU
DV2

Post by DV2 »

There was a bug with handing any UNC paths which caused the overflow error - I've fixed this now and will upload today.

I'd like to get path settings, etc into the scripts (everything in one self contained file) - just trying to figure out the neatest way of doing it.

I've yet to finalise config file locations - needs more research. I think at the minute it is an xml file in your docs/settings folder somewhere.

DV

Post by DV »

Updated file now up:
Version 2.0.3737.26143 BETA
http://www.digitalvolcano.co.uk/downloa ... _beta3.zip

-UNC Paths fixed
-Show Files with Matches/Show Files with no matches now separate options, to enable easier 'negative' searches.

Enjoy.
Tonttu

Post by Tonttu »

It would be great, if TextCrawler supported .CSV-files for batch find/replace.
Similar to this free, but unsupported soft:
http://www.dogsbyte.com/multisub.html
..and many commercial softs.

If you add the feature, I will make a tutorial for fixing broken links on websites.
Tonttu

Post by Tonttu »

Actually, it would suit my workflow maybe even better, if I could drag and drop web links to the Find / Replace boxes in the batch editor and they would be plain text without the html tags. Dragging and dropping is just much more fun than ctrl-c, ctrl-v when talking about hundreds of links.
DV

Post by DV »

Interesting ideas, thanks.
Currently the batch find/replace uses its own format, but a feature to import CSV lists of find/replace pairs shouldn't be too difficult to add.
Ivan

Post by Ivan »

It would be very nice if TC had the possibility to exclude certain files and folders from its search.
A lot of people use in their work a version control systems such as CVS / SVN / GIT. As is is known, these systems create in each folder their system information. It is not required to do search or replace in these folders.
So, it would be great to get the ability to exclude from the search list such folders.
Tonttu

Post by Tonttu »

Let's extend the exclusion feature request: add to exclude list the search results you just got. So you can easily find out where the stuff is you want to exclude and then add it without the extra steps.