TextCrawler 2.0 Beta available for trying out

Tool for Search and Replace across multiple files.
once_again

Post by once_again »

Great job, perfect for my needs, thanks very much
gxerman

Post by gxerman »

it�s worth a million bucks!
george

Post by george »

Feature Request:

On batch replace, add a NoProcess flag that skips that regex task. Very useful for trouble shooting long batch projects. Could just add a check box along with the others.

Bug(?*):

In batch replace dialogue, there are mini edit find and edit replace boxes that pop up. however, they don't actually load the text to the find/replace.

Miscellaneous:

It would be nice to be able to access the character map from the batch editor. It would be nice to be able to resize the batch editor. I use the OS wide custom zoom in windows xp, and things do not flow properly, so that "find/regex:" and "replace:" actually flow over the form fields, making them partially unreadable. If I could full screen, I would not even need the popups.
george

Post by george »

Another idea:

the ability to call another program as one of the steps in the batch routine. I could then call, e.g., perl -myscript to split files. this might cause problems, since would need to rebuild the file list at that point. I could also call xslt if that would be better than regex for part of a task.
Brad

Post by Brad »

George,
The ability to call other programs sounds like a good idea. What if you took it even further and made TextCrawler command line executable? Then your Perl script could call TextCrawler. You could pass in the '.tcx' script file, and parameters for what file to search in, file filter, etc.
DV

Post by DV »

Good ideas for scripting - I'd like to expand the batch scripting to include these more advanced elements. However, I've got to put a feature freeze on things for now else I'll never get V2.0 finalized and released!
The current beta has another problem - the status bar at the bottom has gone AWOL. I hope to get an updated/bugfixed release candidate up soon (no new features), and get things finished.

Rumbo - Build no is be equal to the number of days since January 1, 2000 local time, and revision is equal to the number of seconds since midnight local time, divided by 2. It's a Microsoft thing...
george

Post by george »

found another bug:

a search like (dot does NOT match NL):

(<h1.+)\n(<h2.+)

works as expected in the regular expression tab, but in the batch tab, it appears the dot always matches NL, so that it eats the whole file.
DV

Post by DV »

Good catch - this and the multiline option are inverted in the batch process (try it with does DOES match NL). Will fix.
DV

Post by DV »

Updated Version 2.0.3785.27709 BETA.
Bugfixed the above, and some other bits. Reinstated the status bar...
george

Post by george »

I have been heavily using 2.0 beta, and just ran into an oddity. I have been processing about 120,000 files mainly using regex. I am now doing one replace using the standard mode, and it has taken all night to do half the replaces, instead of the usual half an hour. the replace is:

(no highlighting)</span></span></div>

TO

(no highlighting)</span></span></p></div>

TextCrawler is using one processor and 140 megs of ram.

I have 12.6 gb of free space on the hdd, texts are about a gig. windows xp, decent box.