Limiting directory search depth

Tool for Search and Replace across multiple files.
RichardS

Limiting directory search depth

Post by RichardS »

First of all, great utility - thanks! If I'm allowed to use this to accomplish my task there'll be a donation... :-)

Question - have to search for specific files in a very large directory structure (~3000 top level directories, depth sometimes up to 20 subdirectories) and modify them. No problems - I know the filespec & text to replace. Works a treat on small test structure.

However, for the full blown structure it will take an awful long time and there is the danger of matching files that should not be touched (with >3k files being returned it is not an easy job selecting them for modification and staying awake!).

Is there a way to limit the depth of directory structure that will be searched or only changing files in specifically named directories?

I know, for instance, that the files to be modded will never be more than 2 directories deep into the structure, and don't want to end up searching through the full Windows roaming profile structures for files that I'm not interested in.

Also - don't have access to some of the directories - will this kill the scan process when one of these directories is encountered?

Any thoughts would be welcomed, thanks.

DV

Post by DV »

Hi
I can't think of any way of limiting the search depth with the current version, sorry. It's a possible option for a future release though.

I don't think lack of access will kill the scan - it just won't catalog that folder.
RichardS

Post by RichardS »

Thanks for your reply, DV, much appreciated.

Limiting search depth & adding directory name filters might be a useful addition - difference between searching potentially 50,000 directories against 3000 in this case. But this won't stop me trying :-)

I'll give it a go (if I'm permitted) and let you know how it goes - both for structure depth and the permissions stuff.