very annoying thing with "large files"

Tool for Search and Replace across multiple files.
Hans Henrik

very annoying thing with "large files"

Post by Hans Henrik »

[first off, gratz on making a great text replacer utility!]
i used it on some big files and..

Sometimes it says "out of memory" on some files even tho theres more than enough memory (i tried a 184 MB file, it gives "Error reading [FilePathHere] Out of memory", even tho there was about 1200 MB memory left-not-in-use)

And tried on a 901 MB file, it said "[FilePathHere] is to large to process.", even tho there was also about 1200 MB memory left not in use

but whats really annoying about these 2 errors, + *permission Denied* error is: They Will All make the entire search progress stopped while waiting for user input
[while, in my opinion it should continue do search while waiting for users *ok*]

(btw if relevant: WinXP SP2 Pro, 2 GB ram)

oh and also, a bug with this forum: try to write a new topic, but wait like 30 minutes be4 pressing "Add Post", the "security code" will allways come back "invalid" and wont refresh by "go back try again" button :p
Hans Henrik

Post by Hans Henrik »

wups forgot:
using version 1.1-0
DV

Post by DV »

Textcrawler 1.x can't deal with large files. It has a hard coded check of about 500Mb, but sometimes smaller files will bomb out (as you found out) - it's basically to do with limited string space and little control over it - the amount of free memory you have doesn't seem to help.

These issues should be fixed with TextCrawler 2.0 which will have an updated codebase in .net.