Batches

Tool for Search and Replace across multiple files.
Art

Batches

Post by Art »

Hi,

thanks for the great program. My all time favorite replacer.

I just upgraded to 1.1 and see it has a batch feature. But I could not figure out how to use it. Could you please give some more detailed instructions on it?

Thanks.

Art
DV

Post by DV »

Try here-
http://www.digitalvolcano.co.uk/TC_Readme.html

let me know if you need more info.
PN

Post by PN »

TC looks amazing and very useful. Thanks!

Would help me if the readme that mentions "find/replace pairs which have been saved in the library" describes how to save one. Or how to modify a library expression already saved. Also, perhaps instead of using two terms ("library expression" and "find/replace pair") it would be clearer to use just one throughout - if equivalent.

Another thought - how about including a click-to-insert ASCII table comparable to the one in the Tools menu of PsPad...perhaps adding a Unicode column?

Paul
BK

Post by BK »

My problem is same as Art. I couldn't figure out how to use batch tool. I have thousands of files in different folders. I tried to find and replace text in one of these folders, but it takes a lot of time. First TC fidns the text, then when I hit the replace button, it again takes a lot of time. That's fine, but is it possible to execute these commands by using like a dos command prompt and leave?
BK

Post by BK »

What I mean is this. I want to specificy folder names and the text that I want to find and replace in these folders. So TC will first look at the first folder, complete find/replace, and then it will look at the second folder, complete a find/replace specific to that folder and so on. Can this be done? If so, I can just write commands and start the process and leave the computer. Thank you for any help.
DV

Post by DV »

The TextCrawler 1.x batch tool doesn't quite work how you'd like - it will run a sequence of find/replace pairs, but only from the same starting folder.
TextCrawler 2 will have a brand new batch/scripting engine with the power to do these things. It's not out yet though.