New features desired in Textcrawler

Tool for Search and Replace across multiple files.
narayan

New features desired in Textcrawler

Post by narayan »

I would like to see the following features in the Textcrawler:

1. Provision to clear previous results or to start another search.

In the current version, after a search, there is no provision to restart the search and clear off the last results.

2. BUG: The "Extract" button is grayed out sometimes.

I got a result of 436 results in 92 files. I selected them all and put a check in their check boxes. But the "Extract" button remained grayed out; so I could not save a text file.

3. Let user use CTRL+A to select all files.

User should be able to click inside the "Files" pane and press CTRL+A to select all files

4. Provide keyboard shortcuts to launch the selected file in external application.

Provide a shortcut to view the selected file in an external application. Let the user select this external application. Provide another (similar) shortcut to view the file in Explorer.

5. Easier viewing of hits found in a given file.

When the user clicks on a file, its details are shown in the bottom pane. User has to click on each and every file, which is tedious. Instead, let the user just use his UpArrow or DownArrow keys to move through the files. As soon as the highlight moves to a different file, the bottom pane should show the matches found in that file. (In other words, always keep the "matches" pane synchronized with the "files" pane.)

6. User should be able to paste a URI directly in the "Start location" field from clipboard.

Currently he has to browse to the start location, which is tedious. Often a user has a URI on the clipboard, which he should be able to use.

Note that the user may paste an absolute path for a FILE (not a folder), In that case, the file name should be ignored and the container folder's should be taken automatically (do not report an error).
DV

Post by DV »

Hi
Thanks for your input - some quick responses

1. Provision to clear previous results or to start another search.

-Just by entering new search terms and clicking find should clear off the old results and replace with the new.

2. BUG: The "Extract" button is grayed out sometimes.

-Extract is only enabled in regular expressions mode

3. Let user use CTRL+A to select all files.

-Good idea

4. Provide keyboard shortcuts to launch the selected file in external application.

-You can launch with custom app or show in explorer using the right click menu. No keyboard shortcuts yet though.

5. Easier viewing of hits found in a given file.

-The matches pane should be synced with the highlighted file, and the up/down keys work in the newest version.

6. User should be able to paste a URI directly in the "Start location" field from clipboard.
- CTRL-V will paste clipboard contents into start loc bar, or right click and 'paste'
Filter Extension

Post by Filter Extension »

It would be a great help when
I could apply a second filter
on the result of the first!

How about?
Thomas Lehmann

Post by Thomas Lehmann »

Checkable result lines?

One checkbox before each line number to
allow removing "none checked" results by
an menu or button action!
sidwu

Post by sidwu »

It seems textcrawler is more reliable than default windows (XP) search engine, so I suggest next release of TextCrawler to provide an option to install shell context-menu on a folder to launch TextCrawler with the folder path showed in textbox "start location".

Keep up the good work.
Bahgia

Post by Bahgia »

I usually extract particular data in array (like excel) in CSV file format, I hope software can list the found data side by side with the filename.