Crash when assessing a lot of data

The best solution for finding and removing duplicate files.
Richard

Crash when assessing a lot of data

Post by Richard »

I have several external hard drives and have been unable to use Duplicate Cleaner on one of them for the last three versions. I don't think the version is relevant other than that new ones didn't address the problem. I think the problem developed when the drive hit a certain # of files. There are a lot of files: according to the initial scan there are 771,0363 (1.08TB). DC scans OK but when I start the duplicate check process it stops responding fairly early on and has to be forced to quit. It made it 17.78% this last time.

Searching for "same file name," "same size" and "same modified date." Not searching system folders/files and the like, not looking at zero size files.

I'm guessing I'll have to move into the file structure and clear out collections of files under some of the upper level folders. Any other ideas?

Windows 7 Pro 64-bit, very fast PC with 12 GB RAM.
DV

Post by DV »

Hi, do know exactly which version stopped responding? Versions 2.0.5 and 2.0.6 have GUI multithreading so should not appear to freeze up. Earlier versions may appear locked when they are in fact working.
therube

Post by therube »

Don't know that the number of files is going to be an issue?
(Unless your 771,0363 is the number of dups rather then files.)

Looks like I've got 700K files on my C: drive.
Name+Size+Date search completed successfully.

XP, E4300, 2 GB ram.

http://oi53.tinypic.com/2ag96x1.jpg