Duplicate jpg files

The best solution for finding and removing duplicate files.
RedLupus

Duplicate jpg files

Post by RedLupus »

First, excuse me for my bad english...
Thank You for this software. I Love it. But... I should hope a new feature : The ability to compare jpg files by content without taking tags (exif, iptc...) in acount. Why ? Because I write Tags and when done, it becomes impossible to realy compare such files (the one in which I wrote tab and the same, in another place, without or with different tags).

Best Regards
p0peye

Post by p0peye »

1. Thanks for an excellent app :)
I tried a few others, but this one has most of the options I need.
2. Back to the topic: Exactly my case.
I am a chaotic person, and being always late - have no time to look for a folder where I saved files from my camera SD card. So I make a folder "!to be sorted1" (and later "....2", "...3".
And when my wife says "don't delete them from the camera, I want to show them to my friends" - there is a trouble coming. Because - if I don't find the exact folder I saved the pics the next time too - there are duplicates on the horizont...
If it happens more then once (and twice, and...), and if I already started with tagging files, there ARE troubles on the hrizont and all over the place - I mean HDD.

Once I started tagging files, it become impossible to find duplicates and delete them... By content.
It is still possible to find them by file name - if I didn't rename them. Anyway, this method is not secure (what if I have different files with same names in selected folder?)

I have unchecked the "read image tags" in option.

So - to compare files with out tag data - would be great...

Cheers
DV

Post by DV »

Checking images and ignoring tags is something planning for the next generation DC. Thanks for the suggestions!
p0peye

Re: Duplicate jpg files

Post by p0peye »

Hi,

I just registered an hour ago to ask for a feature - "compare pictures with out tag (exif, iptc...) data", just to find this topic - so the feature is already asked.
Nice!
And listed as "to do".
Even nicer!
And one of the requesters was me!
(I already mentioned I'm a bit senile ;) )

What is interesting, however: I asked for this feature as "p0peye" - nothing strange - I always use this nick on all the forums (if it isn't taken already). But I JUST registered (again?) an hour ago with this very same nick?!? :?:
Well - as long as it stays in the family - I don't mind... ;)
Cheers,
p0peye

p.s. - and when approx. will the next generation see the light?
p0peye

Post by p0peye »

Hi, it is me again :)

Instead of editing the previous post, I would rather make a new one.

Just thinking, if this could be a good suggstions for next DC updates - another way of finding the duplicate (or very similar) pictures - if one has tags and the other don't:

- Adding the tags alter the original file size by few kBs:(3,62 /3,63MB). Is it possible to add the criteria for matching "file name+ approx. file size (+-10%)"?
- The created date/time is also altered, but the "picture taken" time stamp is stored within the file itself, I am not sure if it is possible to take this time as comparation factor - here is a crucial factor if it is easy to go trough "exif" or "iptc" data to extract the needed info...

Cheers
DV

Post by DV »

The next gen Duplicate Cleaner has an image mode which will compare the image data from a visual point of view (it'll find resized, rotated, different formats, pictures that have had subtle brightness changes, etc), so the option to ignore exifs or look at date taken will not be needed. This will be perfect for the scenario you describe below!

This is a new forum software, I think your last post was on the old forum, but the posts were imported.
p0peye

Post by p0peye »

Hi,

thanks for the reply.

I hope the new software will be even better then this great version!

Cheers,
p0peye

p.s. - I'll ask for another in new toppic - don't want to go off-topic here...
Bugi

Post by Bugi »

DV wrote:The next gen Duplicate Cleaner has an image mode which will compare the image data from a visual point of view (it'll find resized, rotated, different formats, pictures that have had subtle brightness changes, etc), so the option to ignore exifs or look at date taken will not be needed. This will be perfect for the scenario you describe below!

This is a new forum software, I think your last post was on the old forum, but the posts were imported.
Wow, that would make the software the one-and-only übersolution. You mean you will be doing something like VisiPics? I would applaud that, maybe you can contact its author for input, or even his source? Unfortunately the software is abandoned, I absolutely loved its useability (functional interface, easy to work with and a powerful solution overall).