pinging DV

The best solution for finding and removing duplicate files.
Emerson

pinging DV

Post by Emerson »

Hey DV, hope all is well. Haven't posted in awhile, and was just curious if you've had the chance to make any progress on any feature enhancements for DC2. To recap some of the ones I'm most interested in from previous posts

- ability to select "source" and "destination" folders for dupe comparison

- better logic with regard to hardlinked files during the initial scan (ie. when DC2 is building its list of files if count hardlinks is checked it should check the reparse attribute of a file and automatically add the targets of that file as "dupes" to the final list without having to rehash/recheck them

- the issue with the progress bar not updating during hardlinking/file removal

- adding a numeric counter to the progress bar (once you get it to update that says what file is currently being processed (this would allow the user to resume DC2 from where it left off if it crashes rather than starting at the beginning)

- a new feature request (I realize this might be a bit more involved) is collapsible hardlink groups in the results grid. What I mean by this is if you could add a +/- widget or an arrow widget that could collapse hardlink groups.

- A final hardlink bug/enhancement that should really help with DC2's speed when dealing with many hardlinks is how DC2 currently deals with hardlinking dupes. If files A, B, C, and D are all the same, and files A-C are already hardlinked. If you just want to add file D to that group, there is currently no easy way to do that. If you select files that are already hardlinked to each other DC2 should be smart enough to see the files are already hardlinked and skip them.

Anyway, hope to hear back from you. I absolutely appreciate that you do this on the side and for free so obviously whatever else you have to do takes priority, but would love to hear how things are (or aren't) coming along :)
DV

Post by DV »

Hi Emerson,
DC 2.0 final (2.0.4) was released recently - the issue you mention with the progress bar updating should have been fixed with this.
Not too much progress with the other issues yet - though the source/destination comparison type scanning remains something i'd really like to implement for a future release.
The other ideas are added to the wishlist!

I'm currently working on making DC properly threaded(ie stopping the interface from freezing), and enabling it to provide better logging information to track down these delete errors and scan crashes we are having.

watch this space!