duplicate cleaner 2.0.4 - system run out of memory

The best solution for finding and removing duplicate files.
peter

duplicate cleaner 2.0.4 - system run out of memory

Post by peter »

ran duplicate cleaner on 4 drives totalling 5tb. It crashed with an error saying that the system had run out of memory. My system has 4gb ram. Must be something wrong with the memory management inside cleaner 2. There may be long pathname files in the drives. using vista 64 ultimate.
Fool4UAnyway

Post by Fool4UAnyway »

5 TB?!
Dex

Post by Dex »

Missing the 1.xx version of the program telling me which duplicate groups have all files marked for deletion.

I would like to see that listing back, or even a tab that shows which groups have all files marked so I can easily decide whether to un-mark one or all of them.
Dex

Post by Dex »

oops, that last post is in the wrong place, and can be ignored... The issue has been stated in another thread.
Dex

Post by Dex »

-- to Peter

Seems to me that 5tb of data is quite a chunk for only 4G of ram. I haven't a clue of what kind of data you have stored over the 5tb of drives. I suspect that unless you have large HD movies that are 30-50G each, you have enough files to make any program choke with only 4G of ram.

I don't have as much storage as you do, but I have done a check on about 400 Gigs of data, and DC is quite slow. This is because it has so much data to crunch. In the end it comes up with over 200,000 duplicates. Any changes to sorting columns, selection assistant or other options that have to scan through the information, takes some time.

I wouldn't blame the lack of memory on DC, it is more likely the amount of data you are requesting it to crunch. Try breaking it up into smaller pieces.
Chris

Post by Chris »

Seems to crash every time I delete a selection of files (say 1000), gets 90% of the way there and hangs, I've got 2 x 1TB USB drives, but only using a small portion of the disks, but lots of little files. Got 4GB Mem. Total dup list is 85000 approx
Fool4UAnyway

Post by Fool4UAnyway »

Break it up in parts.