[Suggestions] Max Duplicates per Scan Run a.o.

The best solution for finding and removing duplicate files.
Buggle

[Suggestions] Max Duplicates per Scan Run a.o.

Post by Buggle »

Hello there, and thanks for a wonderful program! I've been using duplicate cleaners for years and was never entirely satisfied with the options delivered - until I found this program. I especially like the rightclick-slection options. No other program I've used has these extended features.

But ontopic: I've got three suggestion that might make this program even better - at least for myself.

[Suggestion1]
I often scan folders which have over 40.000 files in them, of which about a quarter is a duplicate. If I do not keep checking the scan, I end up with thousands of duplicates in a list - although this does not really slow DC down (my compliments!), it increases load on both user and computer.
Therefore I suggest an option for a maximum amount of duplicates per scan, to be set by the user. Default is just unlimited, but I for instance would like to have no more than 1000 duplicate sets per scan run to keep things manageable.

[Suggestion 2]
I also work a lot with sets of files that belong together. But not all of the folders that have sets in them contain the same amount of files. I'd like an option to directly see how many files there are in the folder in which the duplicate resides. This way I do not constantly have to open both folders to review their contents, and decide which one of the duplicates I'm going to remove.
In general, it would be nice to be able in some way to get more information not only about the file itself, but also the folder in which it resides.

[Suggestion3]
With a lot of sub-directories it often becomes hard to separate the one from the other. Maybe a truncate option to cut out a part of a path (I would suggest the middle part, right after the first directory) till it reaches the with of the column in the results list, will solve that problem.
Fool4UAnyway

Post by Fool4UAnyway »

I sometimes would like to sort by the last folder in each file's path initially, and then by the relative path, then by the absolute path. I don't think this is currently possible.

Perhaps these columns could also be added to the results grid:
- Complete relative path from the parent folder (not the parent path itself)
- Last subfolder from the selected parent folder (or just empty if the file is in there), i.e. this is the last subfolder of the relative path

It would also be nice if the column grid could be persistently customized, that is, the order of the columns would be restored when Duplicate Cleaner is started again. Can columns also be hidden?