PLEASE consider adding a 'removable disk database'

The best solution for finding and removing duplicate files.
zer0nix

PLEASE consider adding a 'removable disk database'

Post by zer0nix »

firstly, i'd like to thank the entire team involved for creating such a fantastic program and sharing it online for free. over the years, the many iterations of duplicate cleaner have saved me countless hours, and from much frustration. thank you all!

with that said, here's a suggestion for improving (and expanding) the program:

---

i wish duplicate cleaner had a 'removable disk database' function, so it

could compare files on the system with those archived on cds and dvds without having to do multiple scans.

---

if crc/md5 load/scan results could be saved, disk scanning/loading

might even be faster than it is now, since many archives won't have to be

rescanned (-and i must say, 1.4 is already noticably faster than 1.2, which itself is amazingly, much, much faster than ANY other duplicate file checker).

it would be ideal if the program could generate a unique, renamable file, upon request, that lists all the files scanned during a particular session, with user selected exclusions saved within this file, that can then be loaded and compared to in lieu of the multitude of files it represents.

if a file search function is then added on top of this, duplicate cleaner would actually become a fully fledged file database program capable of keeping track of files across multiple removable media.

-it's not absolutely necessary but imho is a natural extension of the program's abilities once it gains the ability to record scan results for future comparison.

please consider it, and many thanks for continuing to update

and improve what is already an excellent program!
zer0nix

Post by zer0nix »

er... crap. i typed that up in notepad and forgot to get rid of the formatting. here is the proper form (i hope):

PLEASE consider adding a 'removable disk database' function!

firstly, i'd like to thank the entire team involved for creating such a fantastic program and sharing it online for free. over the years, the many iterations of duplicate cleaner have saved me countless hours, and from much frustration. thank you all!

with that said, here's a suggestion for improving (and expanding) the program:

---
i wish duplicate cleaner had a 'removable disk database' function, so it could compare files on the system with those archived on cds and dvds without having to do multiple scans.
---

if crc/md5 load/scan results could be saved, disk scanning/loading might even be faster than it is now, since many archives won't have to be rescanned (-and i must say, 1.4 is already noticably faster than 1.2, which itself is amazingly, much, much faster than ANY other duplicate file checker).

it would be ideal if the program could generate a unique, renamable file, upon request, that lists all the files scanned during a particular session, with user selected exclusions saved within this file, that can then be loaded and compared to in lieu of the multitude of files it represents.

if a file search function is then added on top of this, duplicate cleaner would actually become a fully fledged file database program capable of keeping track of files across multiple removable media.

-it's not absolutely necessary but imho is a natural extension of the program's abilities once it gains the ability to record scan results for future comparison.

please consider it, and many thanks for continuing to update and improve what is already an excellent program!
DV

Post by DV »

Thanks Zer0nix,
Scanning against 'Archive' sets is a very interesting idea, and one I don't think I've seen implemented elsewhere. I'll keep it in mind for the next iteration.