Your program is amazing, but I have a suggestion

The best solution for finding and removing duplicate files.
jrsousa2

Your program is amazing, but I have a suggestion

Post by jrsousa2 »

This program is very well crafted, very professional, very well organized, very carefully designed to look good and work well.
You went through the trouble of making even every little detail as excellent as possible (it must have been a tremendous amount of work).

However, there are some flaws that are simply unbelievable, and seems to indicate a lack of total knowledge about the art of removing duplicate music files.
You guys simply don't provide a way to mark duplicate files based on the lower bitrate, just on file size, which is very inconvenient!
The reason is cause if you have thousands of duplicates, some of which are in a usual folder, and news ones that are in a new location,
it's best to keep the ones that are in the organized folder, and delete the news ones in the new folder, unless the bitrate of the new files is better.
If you do the dupe selection based on the file size, lots of new files that are only slightly larger than the old ones (randomly), but have the same bitrate, will be kept, and the usual files (that have been played before, had tags modified, etc.) will be deleted.

Luckily I can create programs in Python to organize my files, tags, attach images, etc., as I have a ton of files. But to dedupe your program is the best tool available, except for this oversight.
I will have to export the output to an excel file and then do my selection in Excel instead.
Last edited by jrsousa2 on Mon May 01, 2023 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DigitalVolcano
Site Admin

Re: Your program is amazing, but I have a suggestion

Post by DigitalVolcano »

You can mark on lower bitrate, or in fact any of the metadata tags.
In Audio mode you should have a bitrate column. You can use the Selection Assitant to Mark Bitrate ->Lowest/blank
jrsousa2

Post by jrsousa2 »

Thanks. I just noticed that going by file size, sometimes a file has a lesser sample rate than another (though same bitrate) and is kept while the other is deleted.
If an attached cover is very large, than even a file with a lower bitrate may be kept, while the higher bitrate one is deleted.
Hence the need to have a selection based on bitrate and perhaps also sample rate to untie.
I'm kinda disappointed that I may have deleted files with a better sample rate just because the file size was slightly larger :(

Edit: You are right, it was my bad! Since it's not the default option, I couldn't figure it at first, but after you pointed that I out I can see them.
Oops, wish I could undelete the files and redo.
jrsousa2

Post by jrsousa2 »

I have another question but don't want to create another topic.

Is there a way to disable the INFERNAL pop-ups? I'm talking about the text that appears over a file if we hover the mouse over it. That's EXTREMELY annoying. The infernal pop-up appears even when the file name fits into its column.

I have 65k files and I don't care for text description pop-ups, pls help!
DigitalVolcano
Site Admin

Post by DigitalVolcano »

Which version are you using? Version 4 has the big pop-ups and you can disable them in settings. Version 5 just has a standard windows tooltip which shouldn't be too intrusive