Replacing ‘intentional’ dups by links to a single file

The best solution for finding and removing duplicate files.
phila

Replacing ‘intentional’ dups by links to a single file

Post by phila »

I have a number of dups caused because I want a file (an image usually) to appear in more than one folder.

I’ve recently decided to tidy this up by replacing each dup with a link to a 'master’ copy of the file. This involves several steps that could be helped by a new right-click pop-up option alongside the “Rename File F2” item.

My current procedure on the ‘Duplicate files’ page is to open two (or more) explorer windows in each of the duplicated files folders. Then in one I create a ‘shortcut’ to the file, and drag it to each of the other windows so that each dup has a shortcut alongside it, Then I mark the ‘other’ dup/s for deletion. After doing this on all the dup groups I run the Delete All Marked command.

So what I’d like is to be able to do, is ‘right-click’ on any one of the duplicated files in a group, and see an option that says “Replace the other duplicates in this group with links to this file”.

This could be implemented either as an immediate action (as is ‘Rename’) just on this group, or could be set up as an action to be run in Selection Assistant on a number of matching groups.
SiMoZ_287

Re: Replacing ‘intentional’ dups by links to a single file

Post by SiMoZ_287 »

I don't know if you have not seen this or if it's not what you need but under the section "File removal, copying, exporting and more" (the recycle bin icon on the top) there a tab called "link files" and if I understood your problem it should do what you need. It allows you to replace the marked files with different types of links
phila

Re: Replacing ‘intentional’ dups by links to a single file

Post by phila »

Thanks for that, and apologies for the late reply, I missed the notification somehow. I will check that out.