Duplicate Cleaner for Linux without emulators

The best solution for finding and removing duplicate files.
Callistemon

Duplicate Cleaner for Linux without emulators

Post by Callistemon »

After months of only having the one ST5000DM000 that isn't defective, a third unit was inserted to the computer from storage. It has I/O Device Errors and caused the Windows desktop environment to fall apart. Everything turned to accent color, leaving only individual windows in the foreground. Terminating and restarting DWM in a Command Prompt as administrator, and terminating and restarting Windows Explorer in a regular Command Prompt, did not do anything but cycle between a solid accent color background and an incomplete frozen taskbar with a solid black desktop. Signing out took forever, so the computer needed to be shut down improperly. Windows also has the Search Indexer, which is constantly indexing external HDDs, even when those are specifically excluded, and cripples the ability to open a program as administrator when the Search Indexer jams with disk errors.

Windows is entirely unfit for anything involving disks with I/O Device Errors. It is of the utmost importance to be able to use Linux, which just works even when disks have errors, and does not have a search indexer that forcefully steals disk bandwidth. I simply do not have enough storage space to copy everything when there are I/O Device Errors. Since the files are mostly duplicated on other disks already, I use Duplicate Cleaner to find the remaining files that are unique to the failing disks with I/O Device Errors. Duplicate Cleaner is an essential centerpiece of salvaging files from disks with I/O Device Errors, but only works on an operating system that is entirely unfit for that purpose. It's not enough to work on emulators, which are never able to work properly without errors.