Portable Duplicate Cleaner

The best solution for finding and removing duplicate files.
Ron

Portable Duplicate Cleaner

Post by Ron »

I like your software "Duplicate Cleaner" very much. A portable version (which can run standalone from a USB flashdevice) would be much more perfect for me!!!
(If I install "Duplicate Cleaner" on a PC and I transfer the installed folder to a USB-device, it gives an error when running it on another PC).
DV

Post by DV »

V1.4 should be more portable - what was the error? I'm hoping to make a true portable version of 1.4 soon though - most of the elements are there.
Paul

Post by Paul »

Hi - Really interested in DV being file duplicate finder being made portable. I know you have said that you will be making a "truly" portable version, but in the meantime, how do install latest version as portable ? Thank you for a great product.
DV2

Post by DV2 »

The current version (1.4) still isn't fully portable unfortunately as it still needs mscomctl.ocx (as well as the vb runtimes) registered on the host machine. Most modern windows systems have the runtimes built in however, and some may have the ocx depending what s/w is already installed.

The DLL files shipped with DC do not have to be registered (just in the same folder as the exe), so it's worth a try. Just grab the files from a normal installed folder.

Another downside is that DC still writes it's settings to the registry at the end of each run.
RoninV

Post by RoninV »

I will definitely stay tuned for that "true" portable version.
Hml

Post by Hml »

I came to the forums to quesry about this exact same thing, I would also be very interested to see a portable version that does not write to the registry. More specifically, my interest would be in preventing duplicate cleaner from storing the "last used paths" anywhere. I.e., even if the settings were stored in a file instead of the registry, I'd really like an option to tell dc to not store "MRU" type information like recent paths at all anywhere.
GHuston

Post by GHuston »

I have installed Duplicate Cleaner 1.4.3/1.4.4 on an USB drive and ran it successfully on another computer, with no problems. The computer I ran it on DOES NOT allow me to install software, but it DOES allow (some) registry writes, so probably not a true test of 'portable', but good enough from my purposes.

FYI,
GHuston
Claus

Post by Claus »

How about creating a version compatible to PortableApps <http://portableapps.com/>?
thian

Post by thian »

very good
dcwul

Post by dcwul »

A truly portable version (just an .exe, with maybe a couple of otherfiles) would be great...