Locks up on large files

The best solution for finding and removing duplicate files.
Adam

Locks up on large files

Post by Adam »

I sorted a few external harddrives and have a VM folder. I tried scanning it only to find duplicate cleaner to lock up. I went from an old version to the most recent version (2.0.4) it still locks up.

I suspect its because the images are very large files (after all, they are a linux OS and + harddrive space for libs, runtimes and files). They are 5gb+

Would you guys be able to test it and fix the problem if that is in fact what is causing the app to freeze.

Thanks.
Fool4UAnyway

Post by Fool4UAnyway »

Would you mind sending you data over the internet, then?

I see a lot of questions saying "I'm scanning a huge amount of files or data and Duplicate Cleaner locks up".

Why doesn't anyone start with a small subset to work on, test if DC does what it is supposed to do right, and then see if all goes well when more or less overloading the application with data?

If I buy a new bike, I'm not taking it for a 5000 mile ride the minute I get it.
James

Post by James »

Why don't you just test your own software before releasing it, instead of being a smart-@**? If I release a new piece of software, and it's intended to be ridden for 5,000 miles, I make sure it will hold up for more than 200.

I'm personally not nearly as pleased with 2.0 as I was 1.4.7, or whatever it was.
DV

Post by DV »

Adam-
DC is probably not locking up, but if there are lots of very large files with exactly the same size it'll appear to as it is having to work hard reading and hashing them. The next update has proper thread so won't appear locked.

James - it's not Fool4U's, its mine. He's a user like you.
There are some teething troubles with 2.0 - it's basically re-written. The next update will have some major changes that hopefully address some of the issues.