Removing 49966 Duplicate Files!

The best solution for finding and removing duplicate files.
colin robinson

Removing 49966 Duplicate Files!

Post by colin robinson »

Aaaaaargh!

Let me start again.....

Hi

I have just discovered, downloaded and run this fabulous piece of software for a one-off task I needed to perform on my list of Karaoke songs...

Bless it, it came up with 99932 duplicate files!!!

Now - ALL i want to do is to delete all the duplicates but I can't figure out how to do that!

It seems to me I have to go through the entire list and "tick" every second file but that would take me forever....

Is there some clever way of getting it to automatically tick every second file or simply to delete all the duplicates and will one of you kind, wise, nice people help a complete computer illiterate like me by giving me idiot proof instructions ("press this, then press that..." and so on) that I have a chance of following?

Pretty Please....?
jackThom

Re: Removing 49966 Duplicate Files!

Post by jackThom »

There are quite a few ways you can "mark" the files you want to remove, and then you click the "File Removal" button at the top and manage your preferences for exactly what you'd like to do with those files.

http://duplicatecleaner.com/screen3.html
jackThom

Post by jackThom »

Check out that screenshot, and click the "selection assistant" in your program. It should be self explanatory from there.
colin robinson

Post by colin robinson »

jackThom - you are a STAR!

Just one more tiny problem - I can't get anything LIKE that screen shot to appear on my screen? Does it make a difference that I do not have "Pro"??? I only need to do this exercise once so did not want to pay for the software and only have the free version...?

It appears from your screen shot, you have clicked on the first file, then right clicked to get the pop up menu, then clicked on "Mark" to get the further menu (all good so far...) but then mine goes wrong as the word "Duplicate" does not appear in ANY of this final menu's options? They are all there, but without the important word... So, when I click on the third option, "Mark all files in this folder tree" it does just that...Marks ALL files???

One more bit of help jackThom, pleeeeese?
jackThom

Post by jackThom »

As I said before, you just click the button next to the words "selection assistant". It features a magic wand and stars on it. Then highlight the "mark" menu with the green checkmark. It gives you all sorts of options about what to mark. I'm guessing you want to "select by group" and "all but one file in each group".

The prompts are pretty self explanatory. I'm not sure what more I can explain.
colin robinson

Post by colin robinson »

Contrary to popular belief, I am NOT a Complete Moron! I am not clever enough to be a complete anything! You on the other hand jackThom.......

I had found the right button (with the wand and the stars) and had found the right menu from which to select "Mark" (whopee for me!) but I still maintain that on your screen shot, it offered "Remove Duplicate Files" and mine simply didn't!

HOWEVER, your latest suggestion to "Select by Group" and THEN "All but one file in each group" was EXACTLY what I needed!

THANK YOU JACKTHOM

If there is an award for most helpful (and patient) person on this forum, you have my nomination!!!!

Problem solved!