.EML files

The best solution for finding and removing duplicate files.
bilglas

.EML files

Post by bilglas »

I've collected thousands of *.eml files from several old backups ... emails from 1996 through 2010. In nearly every case, there are at LEAST two of each ... sometimes as many as six or seven of each. They all have different file names, but the content of the duplicates is identical, as far as I can tell. I'm using version 3.2.1, and so far, I haven't been able to get it to detect ANY duplicates. I've tried using *.* search criteria, and *.eml ... no luck. It's set to any date, any size, and Same Content.

I'd be grateful to anyone who has any suggestions. Thanks very much!
DigitalVolcano
Site Admin

Re: .EML files

Post by DigitalVolcano »

They must have slightly different data in them (for instance an export date embedded in the file data). Either that, or the program isn't reading all the files for some reason (e.g. You aren't scanning subfolders)

A good test (to make sure Duplicate Cleaner is looking in the right place and reading the files) is to copy one of the files in Windows Explorer, in the same folder as the original. Then scan again - you should at least get this as a duplicate if the program is looking in the right place.
bilglas

Post by bilglas »

Thanks for the quick reply. First: the subfolder question isn't the problem, for sure. I did the test you suggested. In a folder with about 2,000 .eml files, I selected five, randomly, and just copied them to the same folder, so the only difference between them is "(copy)" in the filename. And it DID find the five dupes. I don't know what conclusion I can derive from that, other than what you said ... there must be some slight difference in the data between two files that appear, to my eyes, to be identical. I guess that would lead to the question, can it search for duplicates that are, like, 99.9% the same, but not completely? I'm guessing not, but I can dream, eh?
DigitalVolcano
Site Admin

Post by DigitalVolcano »

bilglas wrote:I guess that would lead to the question, can it search for duplicates that are, like, 99.9% the same, but not completely? I'm guessing not, but I can dream, eh?
Duplicate Cleaner Pro can do this-
http://www.duplicatecleaner.com/featurelist.html
bilglas

Post by bilglas »

Thanks!! Adding to my Christmas wish list!!