Question/ request

The best solution for finding and removing duplicate files.
Ed S

Question/ request

Post by Ed S »

I have been using DC to clean up & consolidate many years worth of data scattered over 45 HD's and 4 active computers. (yes, I'm a digital packrat. And yes, some of these drives are ancient)

Anyway, there are many, MANY occasions of near-identical file folders, for instance there may be one:
c:\program\data - which contains 540 files. Call this A
and another
e:\ program\data - which contains 600 files. Call this B

Running DC for same content files returns, let's say 480 matches. To consolidate, I've been moving one set of matches from A to a master backup (call this C) which is mirrored on yet another physical drive.
Then run DC comparing B to C, delete the matches. This leaves both A & B with only the non-identical files to work with.
Run DC again for same file name, ignore content. Chose which copies to keep, delete unwanted.
Within Windows, move the remainder of A and B to C

This works, but is awfully tedious. Any suggestions to streamline the process?

Next, have you ever considered a feature to "ignore matches, display only non-identical files" This would isolate those files quickly, but may be outside of DC's abilities.

Thank you for this AWESOME program, wish I'd had it years ago. Will purchase Pro eventually, right now the finances are far too tight.
(any discounts coming up?? ) :D just kidding!

Ed
DigitalVolcano
Site Admin

Re: Question/ request

Post by DigitalVolcano »

Hi,
We are in the early stages of planning a 'Unique Files' tab for Duplicate Cleaner 4.0. I think this will achieve what you want.
Ed S

Post by Ed S »

Thank you, I'll look forward to it.
DigitalVolcano
Site Admin

Post by DigitalVolcano »

BTW, you can get a 10% discount with the voucher code FOUNDIT ;)