List Of Non-Duplicate Files w Same Extension

The best solution for finding and removing duplicate files.
lwmaus

List Of Non-Duplicate Files w Same Extension

Post by lwmaus »

I would like to generate a list of files that are non-dupes (ignore content) but with a certain attribute such as the same extension (for example .RAW)

Right now when I engage the 'Ignore Content' selection, I get a message when the scan is started that says I must specify a DUPE Criteria.

DuplicateCleaner has such a rich set of features, I can't believe that there is not some way to do this. Unfortunately I have not discovered it so far.

Any help would be most appreciated.
DigitalVolcano
Site Admin

Re: List Of Non-Duplicate Files w Same Extension

Post by DigitalVolcano »

There is currently no way with Duplicate Cleaner to set up a scan with file extension as the only duplicate criteria.
This is partly a safety feature - grouping files as duplicates just by their extension means that the files themselves could be unique, and could result in deletion by the unwary user.

The search feature in Windows Explorer (eg *.raw) can do this job, and the found files can then be deleted or moved from the resulting list.
therube

Post by therube »

Everything has a "dupe:" function.

So a search like:

Code: Select all

!dupe:   .raw
Will very quickly find non-duplicate file (names*) *.raw.
(*Everything only deals with names, not content.)
("dupe:" is the function. "!" is a NOT function.)

How does dupe: work

Non -duplicate file listing
lwmaus

Post by lwmaus »

Many tks for the heads-up re: 'everything' : will start experimenting w it asap. Was hoping 'duplicate cleaner' had something as you have described built-in, but alas, that does not seem to be the case.

Again thank you for your expertise and the great suggestion.

lwm