VHD (NTFS) disks

The best solution for finding and removing duplicate files.
drysg

VHD (NTFS) disks

Post by drysg »

I am testing out your PRO version on a 15 day trial. What I have not been able to find in your free version (or anyone elses) is the ability to create Hard Links in a Microsoft VHD disk (Virtual Hard Disk) it should look like any other NTFS formatted disk (since this is handled at the kernel level) and the normal file API works fine at on this.

You can easily create VHD on a win7 or win2008 server: http://www.7tutorials.com/disk-manageme ... vhd-images

what I am seeing is all works fine till the last stage (file removal) I select one of each group, but I only get the delete option, The HardLink option is in gray. Am I doing something wrong?

See screen shot attached.
DigitalVolcano
Site Admin

Re: VHD (NTFS) disks

Post by DigitalVolcano »

What criteria did you use for the scan? The hardlinking option is only usually available for standard 'exact duplicate' type scans (hashes). This is a safety feature though it's deployment could always be reviewed.
drysg

Post by drysg »

A couple issues:

1. We have a specialized need. We need the hard link de-dup function, since we have an automated process. Users of our service select aerial imagery. And our back-end service mosaics the pictures together, and creates 256x256 PNG or JPG image pyramids. We don't need content matching (slow, and it is not working perfectly because of JPG). But File name is unique (slippy tile naming). Very large amounts of data with lots of duplicates, so speed and using the file name is sufficient.

2. I tried with content sensitivity, and it found only 1367 duplicates (there are 55K)

3. it is complaining that it cannot remove greater than 100 in the trial version. OK, that is your rule. But does it make sense? I need to get the performance data to decide if we need to purchase, and the trial will expire anyway in 10 more days. Do you really, need to throw in that restriction?

4. Even when I got down to 99 files, it is still giving me the warning about more than 100 files in the trial. See second screen shot.
DigitalVolcano
Site Admin

Post by DigitalVolcano »

The warning is about deleting from Groups with a group number > 100, rather then 100+ groups selected.

I understand about your need for thorough testing - I've messaged you some information about licensing.