Selecting more than 1 folder at a time

The best solution for finding and removing duplicate files.
MtnMike

Selecting more than 1 folder at a time

Post by MtnMike »

Is there a way to select more than 1 folder in a group at a time for deletion? I have to right click on a selected folder, then select "Mark this folder and subfolders in list". It takes an excessive amount of time for the program to finally place a red line through the selected folder. The program only allows 1 individual folder to be 'marked' at a time.

Isn't there a way to highlight several folders at once for deletion, then "Mark" all of the folders at once? It would make it so much easier! I am also having a tough time 'unselecting' a folder once the red line and files are selected. How is it done without having to undo all of the previous selections?

I am using a very fast Windows 7 system.
DigitalVolcano
Site Admin

Re: Selecting more than 1 folder at a time

Post by DigitalVolcano »

Version 3.2 (upcoming) has an 'Unmark' function alongside the mark in the duplicate folders list. Multi-selection is also on the to-do list and may make it into that release.
Thanks!
MtnMike

Post by MtnMike »

Thanks for the reply.

I don't mean to bug you, but any idea (approx.) when the update may be coming out? I have about 100,000 duplicate files that I am trying to eliminate and it is taking a very long time doing it one folder at a time.

Thanks,

Mike
DigitalVolcano
Site Admin

Post by DigitalVolcano »

Version 3.2 (Pro) should be released next week.
John525

Post by John525 »

DigitalVolcano wrote:Version 3.2 (upcoming) has an 'Unmark' function alongside the mark in the duplicate folders list. Multi-selection is also on the to-do list and may make it into that release.
Thanks!
I have downloaded the 3.2.1 x64 Pro version and the ability to select and mark all duplicate folders in a structure in one fell swoop is not there. The ability to select and mark duplicate folders (rather than duplicate files) is more important, safer and useful to me than selecting duplicate files in different locations. I have about 3000 project sets all in their own directories, many are duplicate projects handled by different persons and copied in different locations. The projects contain many common duplicate files but all have unique user data files, removing the common files from the project directory will cause problems when the project is loaded. I need to find identical directories in this structure and then be able to mark all of the duplicate directories while favoring a certain path for non deletions. I know that there are several hundred duplicate directories in the sets and selecting them one by one is a PITA, a no go for my needs. Foldermatch handles this way better but it cannot do it in a single directory structure, it can only compare and find duplicate folders in two different structures.

My questions: Will you be implementing this soon? If you will be implementing this soon and if I purchase the current version will I have to pay again for an updated version that will have the feautre?

John
DigitalVolcano
Site Admin

Post by DigitalVolcano »

Do you mean a tool like the ones with the files selection assistant, but for the duplicate folder tab?
John525

Post by John525 »

Yes, Select by location...

John
DigitalVolcano
Site Admin

Post by DigitalVolcano »

Selection Tools for the Duplicate Folder view are on the to-do list for version 4. Thanks!