Sugestion for new features and a few comments about versions

The best solution for finding and removing duplicate files.
Bernie

Sugestion for new features and a few comments about versions

Post by Bernie »

Hello!

I still use Duplicate Cleaner 2.1 together with last pro version because I like 2 features that got lost
on version 3:

If I stop a scan before it finishes, I don't lose the list of duplicates found so far, so for very big
tasks, it is useful.

Select by Location, has a very useful ">" button to paste the selected file path

I would love if next update would include these little modifications

New feature request:

I know how image similarity cache works.
Why not have the option to cache checksums too?
to scan a set of folders that doesn't usually change against new files, the speed improvement
would be huge. Same for comparing videos, as they take longer time to hash.

Finally, another feature request:

add CRC32 as to the available checksums
Reason: when comparing files with same content, CRC32+File size is faster to compute than md5 or any other checksum, and it is compatible with many other collection tools (in case of import/export as csv)
a crc32 can discriminate 2,147,483,647 for each file size.
Because same content implies same file size, this checksum is reliable to detect dupes

Thanks in advance for all your efforts and greetings to all Pro Duplicate Cleaner users!
DigitalVolcano
Site Admin

Re: Sugestion for new features and a few comments about vers

Post by DigitalVolcano »

Glad you are finding DC useful - thanks for your support.
... features that got lost
on version 3: If I stop a scan before it finishes, I don't lose the list of duplicates found so far, so for very big tasks, it is useful.
This functionality returns in version 3.1!
Select by Location, has a very useful ">" button to paste the selected file path
This is back in DC Free 3.0.1, and will return in Pro 3.1.
Why not have the option to cache checksums too?
This is something on the to-do list, but might not make an appearance until v4.0
add CRC32 as to the available checksums
I probably won't go back to CRC32, and the danger of false positives is too high once the file set get large. Also, the MD5 implementation is fast, virtually the same speed. The bottleneck is always the speed of reading the drive!

thanks
comp9

Post by comp9 »

Do you have an eta for when version 3.1 will be released? There are a growing list of features I am looking forward to. The thing that will help me most is the improved support for working with large amounts of files and improvements in how memory is handled.
DigitalVolcano
Site Admin

Post by DigitalVolcano »

No ETA yet - it's progressing really well but the core of the program has essentially had huge changes, so it'll take a bit of time to test and get right. It does enable us to do some cool new things with it though!
sanderik

Post by sanderik »

When every file in the same group is selected a color change from black to red could be usefull to find easier and faster the group.
econn

Post by econn »

I am working with hundreds of thousands of images, many of which have duplicates. The problem is, the metadata (mostly in the Keyword field) is different among the files, so Duplicate Cleaner doesn't necessarily see them as the same file (with same name) when they are the same, down to the byte, except they contain different metadata. Even if I search for Similar Content in the 50% range, it still doesn't return known duplicates as duplicates.

I would like to see Duplicate Cleaner have a "Similar Size" option, like the "Similar Content" option, or an option in the image search to ignore metadata in files. In the meantime, I have to search by same filename and pick through duplicates by hand.

Thanks a lot!
DigitalVolcano
Site Admin

Post by DigitalVolcano »

Have you tried the 'Image Mode' tab?
econn

Post by econn »

Yes, but calculating the metrics for 140,000+ images on a server for similarity would takes days to finish.

With a similar size option, you wouldn't have to read the actual image, only file sizes (and in my case filenames), which could be done much quicker.
Vitor

Post by Vitor »

I was thinking about the false positives problem.
On the Duplicate Files list (or Folders) we could select some files and then ask for a byte-to-byte comparison for these selected files.
Does this make any sense?
therube

Post by therube »

> select some files and then ask for a byte-to-byte comparison

Or something similar, RFE: Windows Context Menu on Duplicate Files List.