best practice - learning DCP

The best solution for finding and removing duplicate files.
bsacco

best practice - learning DCP

Post by bsacco »

Is there a tutorial on how to use DCP?

There seem to be too many options/features and not enough case study instruction on how to use the program to do a specific task.

For example, I need to discover the fastest possible way of finding all the duplicates between two different hard drives?

I've been doing it manually and it's taking forever.

Can anyone assist?
DigitalVolcano
Site Admin

Re: best practice - learning DCP

Post by DigitalVolcano »

To find duplicates between two different drives-

Use:
-Regular Mode
-Same Content

Add both drives/folders to the 'folders to search' list and set them both to 'Find Duplicates->External only'.
bsacco

Post by bsacco »

Yes, but what are all the settings I need to enable? You are providing instruction superficially. That is, novice people like myself get lost in all the mass features of settings within the program. For example, there a bunch of settings like Status, protected, scan subfolders, show remaining /unique files. We newbies get lost real fast. This is why you need screen shots where you call out ALL the fEATURE settings to get a specific task done. Otherwise your NOVICE USERs get lost.

In addition, you are omitting all the post -actions that need to be done like selecting the dupe files. For example, I'm confused what is the difference between Duplicate files vs. Remaining files vs. Duplicate Folders. This is not explained thus leaving me confused.
DigitalVolcano
Site Admin

Post by DigitalVolcano »

This should all be in the manual - for example the scan location page is explained below.
https://www.digitalvolcano.co.uk/duplic ... =&sct=MA==
bsacco

Post by bsacco »

What are the settings if I want to ONLY find the UNIQUE files between two Folders?

Then once I find them how do I copy the unique files over to the other folder so that I now have EXACT copies between the two folders?

Thanks, bob
DigitalVolcano
Site Admin

Post by DigitalVolcano »

-Remember to Backup first

-On the Scan Location tab, add the two input folders.
-Set the two folders to Find duplicates->External only
-Set one of the two folders to 'Show remaining/unique files' to 'Yes'.
-Scan (regular mode, same content).

-In the results, the 'Remaining/unique files' tab will show the files that are in one of the input folders but missing from the other folder.
-You can copy these across by marking them in this tab and using the move tool

T-hen, repeat the process by changing 'Show remaining/unique files' to the other input folder
bsacco

Post by bsacco »

OK, thanks.

But I am having an issue.

When I follow your instructions I get stuck at the last step (marking and moving).

Under Remaining files I have checked the boxes of the files I want to MARK. The program draws a line through the name of the file. This is quite a misleading UI cue because it appears I am deleting these files. Anyhow, the program says "5 files marked." Yet, when I move to the next step to move them the program says "no files marked" and the move button is disabled.

I'm confused.

Please advise.
bsacco

Post by bsacco »

ANother question.

When you are finished deduping and ready to mark files "visually" by using the Thumbnail view is it possible to select only the DUpes that have NO PREVIEW THUMBNAIL VIEW for deletion?

Often I get dupes where one file displays the Thumbnail preview while the other does not. Obviously, I want to KEEP the file that is displaying the Thumbnail preview but I cannot find the option to do so. The dupe ist is long and it's not practical to go through thousands of pics.

Does your software take this into consideration ?

Is there a feature I am missing?

PLease advise.
DigitalVolcano
Site Admin

Post by DigitalVolcano »

bsacco wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2024 3:50 pm Anyhow, the program says "5 files marked." Yet, when I move to the next step to move them the program says "no files marked" and the move button is disabled
On the file removal tab there are two subtabs - Duplicate Files and Remaining files. You probably want to click the 'Remaining files' tab to see the correct removal options.
DigitalVolcano
Site Admin

Post by DigitalVolcano »

When you are finished deduping and ready to mark files "visually" by using the Thumbnail view is it possible to select only the DUpes that have NO PREVIEW THUMBNAIL VIEW for deletion?
It's possible that the program just hasn't generated a thumbnail for this yet - I wouldn't use this a criteria for deletion.