Copy-Paste File names

The best solution for finding and removing duplicate files.
dcwul62

Copy-Paste File names

Post by dcwul62 »

Situation:
I have duplicate files in two different folders, let's say Folder1 and Folder2
The file names are often also different. Reason why is long boring story.

What I am looking for:
an easy way to copy the file name from file in Folder1 onto the file in Folder2 or v.v.

I noticed there is a F6 "Copy folder/file name(s) to Clipboard".
However, it also copies the folder path, so, it is difficult to just 'paste' the name when renaming files.
(path to be removed)

Checked settings, but am not sure whether I can change the F6 behaviour in a way that it will copy file or folder names, but without path.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!
(Duplicate Cleaner v5.18.0)
therube

Re: Copy-Paste File names

Post by therube »

> Are you needing to do this from within DC, particularly?
Oh, you're using DC to actually find the dups.

If not, there is nothing better then Everything.

Well, there still is nothing better then Everything.
In Everything, do a search for: directory\names1\

That will list your files in names1.

You can assign a hotkey to copy the file wanted file name to clipboard.
Hit F2 in DC, then Shift+INS to paste the copied name into DC's Rename dialog.

Everything
https://www.voidtools.com/
dcwul62

Post by dcwul62 »

Thanks.
Sorry for the delay.
I am aware of Everything and use it day-in day-out for almost 10 years now (since July 2013)
Also I know their 'Dupe:' feature.

OTOH, as said, within Duplicate Cleaner and two different folders, I have duplicate files, with different names.
If you want to delete all duplicates in folder1 only but want to rename the duplicate file in folder2 using the file name in folder1
Then you have to go thru F2 select all, ctrl-c, go the file that should be renamed F2 paste, remove the 'double' extension and hit [OK].

Anyway, I guess there probably is no easy solution.
DigitalVolcano
Site Admin

Post by DigitalVolcano »

I've added a suggestion for update 5.19 (separate file and folder name 'copy to clipboard' shortcuts).
dcwul62

Post by dcwul62 »

Super!

Thanks a lot.
phila

Post by phila »

ClipCache might help in the interim - it allows easy editing of the the copied text to delete the 'path' part. Once edited a double click will paste the result into your selected field.
https://www.xrayz.co.uk/clipcache/
Grady

Post by Grady »

DigitalVolcano wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 5:37 pm I've added a suggestion for update 5.19 (separate file and folder name 'copy to clipboard' shortcuts).
I'm doing exactly the same thing as the OP, but doing it manually one by one is still quite tedious. I ended up using a mouse macro but it's still slow.

It would be nice if under File Removal Tab - Rename Files, we could rename the selected files using the file names of the master file (name of unmarked file in the same group).

My use case:
I have large files on the cloud but with minimal short names. Duplicated files are newly downloaded and to be deleted, but naming scheme of the new files are sometimes better. So I use those names to overwrite the existing file names on the cloud, but delete the local copy. This saves many days of re-uploading and lots of bandwidth.