Copying larger photos over smaller ones

The best solution for finding and removing duplicate files.
matteus

Copying larger photos over smaller ones

Post by matteus »

Hi,

I just bought and downloaded DC5pro so I hope it's going to be able to do what I want it to do!

I have two folders of photos.
Folder 1 contains high res original photographs
Folder 2 contains web res photos taken from folder 1, renamed and organised into photos.

Is it possible to use DC to copy the matching photos from folder 1 over the ow res ones in folder 2?

I hope that makes sense!

I tried using photo match to at least match them but it didn't seem to match the photos of different resolutions.

Alternatively, I have another folder, let's call it folder 3 that has all of the Web res images with the original names and numbers. Can I match Folder 2 images to folder 3, copy the old file name onto the organised images in folder 2 subfolders and then match the similar filenames? I.e. Images in folder 3 will be like PhotoshootImageWeb1234.jpg; images in folder 1 would be PhotoshootImageHigh1234.jpg

Jeez, this is hard to explain!
SiMoZ_287

Re: Copying larger photos over smaller ones

Post by SiMoZ_287 »

You can use different detection methods to detect the duplicates, if you have the same pictures with different resolution, the same content hash won't do it. You can use image mode and I would add as many constraints as possible since if you don't do exact match you may very well find some false positives/negatives. Given the names of the example you gave, you may also try text matching under "more duplicate options".

To do the copying part, there is a "Move or copy files" tab under the file removal tab on the top (the one with the recycle bin). If it's not what you want, I suggest you to use "rename files" to rename the destination files you want to replace, than create a hardlink from the "link files" tab which tells the pc that this files you are removing now becomes just a copy of the other one, but without actually copying it. It's a bit technical, but it's like saying to the pc: "hey, this file exists in 2 places now, if I delete it once, just know there is one left" so if you delete it just knows it doesn't exist anymore in that location, but only on the other one. (probably you can find a better explaination on the web if you want to understand it more)