Save the state of scanning manually or automaticaly every N minute

The best solution for finding and removing duplicate files.
Hjkma

Save the state of scanning manually or automaticaly every N minute

Post by Hjkma »

Hello.
I need to periodically scan folders with a huge number of images, each scan process takes 2 to 5 days. And I live in a place where electricity is not always stable, there are power outages sometime. And each trip leads to the fact that the scan must start from the beginning again. It really makes me upset. Can you add the option to automatically or manually save the scan state so that we can resume from the last scan position? Thank you!
DigitalVolcano
Site Admin

Re: Save the state of scanning manually or automaticaly every N minute

Post by DigitalVolcano »

Thanks for the suggestion - I'll look into this.

If you are doing an Image Mode scan and it is switching off during the 'Calculating Image Metrics' stage then one way to force the calculated metrics to be saved before this happens is to stop the scan (Using the stop button). This will cache the metrics calculated so far and the calculations will be skipped when the scan is started again.
Hjkma

Post by Hjkma »

Yes, I know about this feature, it saves me about 20% of the time during the repeated scans.
magtheridon

Post by magtheridon »

Not a program solution, but if you're dealing with constant outages, I'd suggest getting an uninterruptible power supply (UPS). They start at $50-80 and they'll keep your computer going for at least a few minutes without power. (Uptime without power varies depending how much power you're using; they have the max supported volt-amps/watts listed in the product description. Usually it's at least 10 minutes, but you can get hours of uptime with the $300+ models.) They work by seamlessly switching to battery power as soon as there's a change in the power being supplied to the unit, and then recharging the backup battery when power's restored. I'm running multiple-day scans on a few computers at a time, and these have saved me when the power's been inconsistent.
abobymous

Post by abobymous »

Bumping old topic back to top as a FEATURE REQUEST. During large scans in v 5.x, the "Fetching Hashes," "Saving Hashes" and "Calculating Metrics" can take several minutes (or hours). This is especially true when system memory runs low (because of the large scan). Can there be a bit of a rework where the caches are written in real-time or a separate thread that dumps to cache every period?
aeciolemos

Post by aeciolemos »

I would like to see this feature as well. I have a folder with over 150k images and it took about 30h to scan it all. The first time I scanned, the computer locked up after about 18h of scanning and I had to start all over again. By the way, I do have an UPS but it did not help in this case :D

I currently use "Duplicate & Similar Photo Cleaner" which is good and fast (especially compared to Duplicate Cleaner v5, but you have no control over what it selects to delete, forcing me to process the duplicates manually, which can take days. I liked Duplicate Cleaner because you can tell it which drive is the master drive and to eliminate copies in the backup/copy/other drives and folders. I still have not been able to use the software correctly, so I will have to scan again. In that case, I am curious to see if it will re-use the hashes for the 150k images it already has.