Bugs with DC 2.0

The best solution for finding and removing duplicate files.
JamesB

Bugs with DC 2.0

Post by JamesB »

Duplicate Cleaner is awesome; I've used it for a couple of years now, and it's always been feature-rich and easy to use.

I'm having a couple of issues with 2.0, however:

First, DC has marked all the files in a bunch of groups to be deleted and won't unmark them. To get to that state:
D:\_sort\Wallpapers\wallpaper.jpg 51
V:\MyFiles\MyPictures\picture.jpg 51
1. Right-clicked on the second entry and picked 'selection assistant'
2. Select by Location, '>' button to populate the textbox, and click 'mark'. All files in D:\_sort\Wallpapers that duplicate files in V:\MyFiles\MyPictures are now marked
3. Marked a couple of other files using the selection assistant
4. Changed my mind. Used the selection assistant to preserve everything in D:\_sort\Wallpapers. DC marked everything in V:\MyFiles\MyPictures, but didn't unmark the files in D:\_sort\Wallpapers!! I've tried several times to get them to unmark, and they won't ("work only on selected rows" is not checked). So now I'm in the state that for about 50 groups, both files in each group are selected.

That one is big... it means I can't trust DC to not-select all the files in one group : ( And if I can't trust it to do that, I don't trust it to warn me properly when an entire group is selected and I say 'remove selected files'. : (

The second issue is more cosmetic and minor (but annoying): In the selection assistant, select by location, the '>' button and the 'mark' button are on opposite sides of the dialog box, so I'm constantly moving to the right to click the '>', then moving back to the left to click 'mark'... ideally they would be on the same side, underneath each other.

Also, it isn't clear to me what 'unmark' does there... trying to remember what 1.4 looked like there, but I can't.

Thanks for the hard work - I can tell you guys really put some time into 2.0!
JamesB

Post by JamesB »

Also, when groups do have duplicates, you no longer list which groups are duplicated : ( I have to filter through a reeeally long list now to try to figure out which 5 groups are duplicated : (
JamesB

Post by JamesB »

nm, I just found the flag for 'show all duplicated groups' : ) Very nice : )
Adrian

Post by Adrian »

Duplicate Cleaner 2.0 doesn't find any duplicates - same content, same size, same date (except 0 byte files). DC 1.4.0.7 finds hundreds on the same drive! Sorry for double post. I think it's a bug and should be posted here.
Fool4UAnyway

Post by Fool4UAnyway »

Adrian, here's the reply to your other post:

http://www.digitalvolcano.co.uk/forum/v ... 8&topic=94
James

Post by James »

When I said "never mind", I only meant the part about showing duplicated groups... all the original issues in my first post are still issues : (

Anyone else seeing these?
DV

Post by DV »

James - you are right - the select by location (master path) doesn't preserve the files as advertised (as per 1.x behaviour). I'll get this fixed as a priority for the next update, thanks. will re-arrange those buttons too.

James

Post by James »