Selection Assistant

The best solution for finding and removing duplicate files.
Braga

Selection Assistant

Post by Braga »

Suggestion: Selection Assistant - Removing Selection from Same Group

Explanation:
A few times, when I select all files to be removed in the same group, and hit the "REMOVE SELECTED" Button, and "Delete Files" button a warning message appears:

Group Number(s): 1
Warning: - 1 group(s) have ALL copies of duplicate files marked. Proceed? Yes/No

Will be nice if in Selection Assistance to have a button: "Remove All Copies Selecion from Same Group"

When I use this new feature, group 1 (in this example) will be unselected
cubeslave

Post by cubeslave »

I am currently trying to consolidate data from several old systems and drives. This sometimes involves copying files from a single directory into several different directories.

Although it is useful to be able to select which directory contains files to keep, I often find that my work would be easier if I could specify which directory to delete the duplicates from.
DV2

Post by DV2 »

You can select by directory tree in the Duplicate Cleaner 2 beta - just right click on a file in the list to get the menu.
panheadgirl

Post by panheadgirl »

after deleting at least 5g of unwanted files my computer is still showing a lack of space on that drive.? As i Am deleting these files to the recycle bin am I doing something wrong to not acquire more free space?
Fool4UAnyway

Post by Fool4UAnyway »

Removing files to the Recycle Bin means only _moving_ those files to the special Recycle Bin folder.

It is named Recycle Bin to allow a fallback in case you deleted files you didn't want to. You can move files back from the Recycle Bin in case of "accidents".

So, the files aren't actually deleted when moved to the Recycle Bin.

If you want to free up space, you will have to remove files from the Recycle Bin, after having moved them there. Then the files are really "gone".

(Actually, the references to the files are removed. Their space allocations are removed, so the space is available again. The actual contents of the files are not removed but remain on the free memory clusters on the disk, and may be overwritten by any subsequent file saves. You may, however, be able to actually Undelete files by searching free areas by using tools like Recuva. In case you _really_ actually deleted a file you did not intend to, this may be very valuable. It is best to have this kind of tool at hand beforehand and preferably store data files on another drive or partition than the system and program files/drives.)

The shortcut to freeing up space immediately by getting rid of files is using Shift+Delete. Files will not be moved to the Recycle Bin then and their occupied space becomes available to store other data again.