Comparing two music folders return no matches?

The best solution for finding and removing duplicate files.
KenH

Comparing two music folders return no matches?

Post by KenH »

I have two folders of Music that are nearly identical. However, Duplicate Cleaner finds no duplicates when it should find 100's of them.

What are some troubleshoot steps to try to figure why it isn't working?

Thanks!
DigitalVolcano
Site Admin

Re: Comparing two music folders return no matches?

Post by DigitalVolcano »

Are you sure it is following the directory (i.e it could be hidden/system/NTFS junction)? You can check by seeing if the total number of files scanned is what you expect.

Check FAQ here-
https://digvolsoft.freshdesk.com/suppor ... 6000029796

Which settings are you using to find the music? You can post the log entry for the scan if that's easier.
KenH

Post by KenH »

Here is the log:

7/23/2020 8:17:20 PM
Scan complete
Total time taken: 00:00:05
172/172 files scanned (985 MB)
31 groups of duplicates
62 files have duplicates(379 MB)
Hashes calculated: 60
Quick Hashes calculated: 60
Useful Quick Hashes: 0

7/24/2020 9:15:38 AM
Scanning: Audio mode
- Same file name
- Same artist
- Same title
- Same album

Included: *.mp3;*.m4p;*.m4a;
D:\iTunes\Music\
D:\Documents from Old PC\My Documents\My Music\

7/24/2020 9:21:06 AM
Hidden/System/Protected folder ignored: D:\iTunes\Music\.qsync
Unable to read audio tags: D:\Documents from Old PC\My Documents\My Music\damagedgoods.mp3
Unable to read audio tags: D:\Documents from Old PC\My Documents\My Music\INXS - INXS-The Swing\Burn For You.mp3
Unable to read audio tags: D:\Documents from Old PC\My Documents\My Music\INXS - INXS-The Swing\Dancing On The Jetty.mp3
Unable to read audio tags: D:\Documents from Old PC\My Documents\My Music\INXS - INXS-The Swing\Face The Change.mp3
Unable to read audio tags: D:\Documents from Old PC\My Documents\My Music\INXS - INXS-The Swing\I Send A Message.mp3
Unable to read audio tags: D:\Documents from Old PC\My Documents\My Music\INXS - INXS-The Swing\Johnson's Aeroplane.mp3
Unable to read audio tags: D:\Documents from Old PC\My Documents\My Music\INXS - INXS-The Swing\Love Is (What I Say).mp3
Unable to read audio tags: D:\Documents from Old PC\My Documents\My Music\INXS - INXS-The Swing\Melting In The Sun.mp3
Unable to read audio tags: D:\iTunes\Music\Samir Mezrahi\A a a a a Very Good Song (Silent Track)\01 A a a a a Very Good Song (Silent.m4a
Unable to read audio tags: D:\iTunes\Music\The Rippingtons\Kilimanjaro\Katrina's Dance.mp3
Unable to read audio tags: D:\iTunes\Music\Various Artists\Green Linnet Twentieth Anniversary Collection\Humours Of Ballyconnell_Reel Eboulement_Richie Dwyer's.mp3
Unable to read audio tags: D:\Documents from Old PC\My Documents\My Music\Billy Joel\Piano Man\Piano Man.mp3
Unable to read audio tags: D:\Documents from Old PC\My Documents\My Music\Brian Wilson\Smile\On A Holiday.mp3
Unable to read audio tags: D:\Documents from Old PC\My Documents\My Music\David Bromberg\Reckless Abandon - Bandit in a Bathing Suit\Traveling Man.mp3
Unable to read audio tags: D:\Documents from Old PC\My Documents\My Music\Freddy Jones Band\Waiting For The Night\Take The Time.mp3
Unable to read audio tags: D:\Documents from Old PC\My Documents\My Music\Indigo Girls\Indigo Girls - Indigo Girls\Love's Recovery.mp3
Unable to read audio tags: D:\Documents from Old PC\My Documents\My Music\Joe Jackson\Look Sharp!\Is She Really Going Out With Him_.mp3
Unable to read audio tags: D:\Documents from Old PC\My Documents\My Music\Maroon 5\It Won't Be Soon Before Long [Best Buy Exclusive] Disc 1\06 Nothing Lasts Forever.mp3
Unable to read audio tags: D:\Documents from Old PC\My Documents\My Music\Marshall Crenshaw\Marshall Crenshaw\Not For Me.mp3
Unable to read audio tags: D:\Documents from Old PC\My Documents\My Music\Matthew Sweet-Susanna Hoffs\Under the Covers, Vol. 1\12 Care of Cell #44.mp3
Unable to read audio tags: D:\Documents from Old PC\My Documents\My Music\Men At Work\Business As Usual\I Can See It In Your Eyes.mp3
Unable to read audio tags: D:\Documents from Old PC\My Documents\My Music\Men At Work\Business As Usual\Touching The Untouchables.mp3
Unable to read audio tags: D:\Documents from Old PC\My Documents\My Music\Men At Work\Business As Usual\Underground.mp3
Unable to read audio tags: D:\Documents from Old PC\My Documents\My Music\Men At Work\Business As Usual\Who Can It Be Now_.mp3
Unable to read audio tags: D:\Documents from Old PC\My Documents\My Music\Midnight Oil\Blue Sky Mining\Antarctica.mp3
Unable to read audio tags: D:\Documents from Old PC\My Documents\My Music\Midnight Oil\Blue Sky Mining\Bedlam Bridge.mp3
Unable to read audio tags: D:\Documents from Old PC\My Documents\My Music\Midnight Oil\Blue Sky Mining\Blue Sky Mine.mp3
Unable to read audio tags: D:\Documents from Old PC\My Documents\My Music\Midnight Oil\Blue Sky Mining\King Of The Mountain.mp3
Unable to read audio tags: D:\Documents from Old PC\My Documents\My Music\Midnight Oil\Blue Sky Mining\One Country.mp3
Unable to read audio tags: D:\Documents from Old PC\My Documents\My Music\Robert Plant-Alison Krauss\Raising Sand\10 Stick with Me Baby.mp3
Unable to read audio tags: D:\Documents from Old PC\My Documents\My Music\The Motels\All Four One\So L.A..mp3
Unable to read audio tags: D:\Documents from Old PC\My Documents\My Music\Various Artists\Green Linnet Twentieth Anniversary Collection\Humours Of Ballyconnell_Reel Eboulement_Richie Dwyer's.mp3
Unable to read audio tags: D:\Documents from Old PC\My Documents\My Music\Various Artists\Heavenly Christmas\05 Joy.mp3
Unable to read audio tags: D:\Documents from Old PC\My Documents\My Music\Warren Zevon\Stand in the Fire [Bonus Tracks]\12 Play It All Night Long [#][-].mp3
Unable to read audio tags: D:\Documents from Old PC\My Documents\My Music\Yes\90125 [Bonus Tracks]\06 Leave It.mp3
Unable to read audio tags: D:\Documents from Old PC\My Documents\My Music\Yes\Fragile\South Side Of The Sky.mp3
Unable to read audio tags: D:\Documents from Old PC\My Documents\My Music\Yes\Yes - Yessongs (Disc 1) [Live]\Siberian Khatru.mp3
Unable to read audio tags: D:\Documents from Old PC\My Documents\My Music\Yes\Yes - Yessongs (Disc 2) [Live]\Close To The Edge.mp3
Unable to read audio tags: D:\Documents from Old PC\My Documents\My Music\Yes\Yes - Yessongs (Disc 2) [Live]\Long Distance Runaround_The Fish.mp3
Unable to read audio tags: D:\Documents from Old PC\My Documents\My Music\Yes\Yes - Yessongs (Disc 2) [Live]\Starship Trooper.mp3
Unable to read audio tags: D:\Documents from Old PC\My Documents\My Music\Yes\Yes - Yessongs (Disc 2) [Live]\Your Move_I've Seen All Good People.mp3
Unable to read audio tags: D:\Documents from Old PC\My Documents\My Music\Yes\Yes - Yessongs (Disc 2) [Live]\Yours Is No Disgrace.mp3

7/24/2020 9:21:06 AM
Scan complete
Total time taken: 00:05:28
16234/16234 files scanned (105 GB)
249 groups of duplicates
498 files have duplicates(4.02 GB)

The Groups tab after running this only shows me 2 groups instead of the 249 reported. It also did not report hundreds of duplicates. These are identical files - same size, date, bitrate.

Thanks.
DigitalVolcano
Site Admin

Post by DigitalVolcano »

I seems unusual that it is listing two groups rather than 249 if that is what has been found. Are you are you are looking at the Duplicate Files tab and not the Duplcate folders tab (which may just show two)?

To find more possible files:
-You may want to remove the 'Same file name' criteria.
-Check your expected subfolders are being scanned (turn off the 'Protect important folders' setting)

Also see
No duplicate files were found!
wendel

Post by wendel »

I'm having the same problem even though I have removed the same file name criteria. Any suggestions??