Unable to Detect Duplicates

The best solution for finding and removing duplicate files.
kenlohwh

Unable to Detect Duplicates

Post by kenlohwh »

I have around 100 .jpg files in a folder. They have duplicates in my NAS. Some of these duplicates do not share the same created or modified dates with the 100 files in my original folder, but they have the same hashes. BeyondCompare detects them correctly as duplicates.

However, when I use regular mode and search by content only, my Duplicate Cleaner Pro fails to detect the duplicates of these 100 files. I wonder what has gone wrong when previously, it had been working very well for other files.

Any help or suggestions would be very much appreciated.
DigitalVolcano
Site Admin

Re: Unable to Detect Duplicates

Post by DigitalVolcano »

Is it reading the folder correctly in the scan? Is the total number of files what you'd expect?

Sometimes there are various reasons why a folder is skipped (e.g. System flag). See https://digvolsoft.freshdesk.com/suppor ... 6000029796

Also check that criteria such as 'Same created date' and 'Same filename' are not checkmarked.
kenlohwh

Post by kenlohwh »

DigitalVolcano wrote: Thu Sep 13, 2018 6:11 pm Is it reading the folder correctly in the scan? Is the total number of files what you'd expect?

Sometimes there are various reasons why a folder is skipped (e.g. System flag). See https://digvolsoft.freshdesk.com/suppor ... 6000029796

Also check that criteria such as 'Same created date' and 'Same filename' are not checkmarked.
I have gotten it working by conducting many trial-and-errors.

Seems the app needed a reset. (No, not merely restarting it or clearing the caches.)

I navigated to the Home tab and click on ***New Search*** to *reset* the app. After putting back all the folders to scan (from logs of previous scans), the app is able to detect the duplicates again.

Apparently the app had not undergone enough automated stress testing, i.e. running the app for a prolong period continuously without restarting. Only such tests can pick up the anomaly.
DigitalVolcano
Site Admin

Post by DigitalVolcano »

The 'New Search' button just clears the path list, so it's possible that you had previously clicked a setting on one of the search paths which caused nothing to be found (such as 'Don't scan against self' , 'Master' or 'Don't Scan subfolders')