Duplicate folders showing folders not 100% duplicate

The best solution for finding and removing duplicate files.
bobsage

Duplicate folders showing folders not 100% duplicate

Post by bobsage »

Hi, for my search criteria, I have "Same content" checked. Not similar content. But after my scan is over and I go to the duplicate folders tab, it will show folders that are very similar, but not 100% as duplicates. For example It will show a folder with 100 photos and another folder with 98 of those photos as duplicates. Is this normal behavior?
DigitalVolcano
Site Admin

Re: Duplicate folders showing folders not 100% duplicate

Post by DigitalVolcano »

It could be. "Duplicate Folders" are classed as duplicates according to the input criteria you give the program.

Reasons that two folders classed as duplicates may have differing numbers of files:
  • You have an exclusion filter such as size or date range, or file type.
    A folder contains files (or subfolders) with the system flag set, and you have the 'Protect important system folders' option turned on
These situations means that files are ignored, and not taken into account when classifying the folders. If you click on the folder in the duplicate folder list it will show a list of files to the left. Any files shown in GREY are outside the scope of the duplicate scan and have been ignored. This may account for your discrepancy.

Note that the program will not remove these extra files, even if you mark the folder. It deletes by file, not folder, so will only remove duplicates that are listed in the Duplicate file list.
bobsage

Post by bobsage »

Ah gotcha. I purposely had it ignore files under 500kb. Looks like some of these extra pictures were under that mark and were thus out of the scan. Thanks for clarifying.
bobsage

Post by bobsage »

Hello, I had chose a bunch of files and duplicate folders to delete. Then the process started to delete in the windows dialog and it seemed to get stuck on one .zip file (i'm unsure if maybe I had chosen to delete a .jpg within the .zip and windows was trying to delete this from in the zip somehow causing an error). Either way the process, then said it would take over a day, even though I was only deleting about 50gb, so I decided to cancel the process. At this point duplicate cleaner had frozen and I had to rescan.

Have you heard of this happening before? Is there anything I can do to prevent this happening again when I go to delete next time?
DigitalVolcano
Site Admin

Post by DigitalVolcano »

It can be slower deleting from zip files - try the removal with including the zipped files and see how it gets on.
bobsage

Post by bobsage »

DigitalVolcano wrote:It can be slower deleting from zip files - try the removal with including the zipped files and see how it gets on.
Where do I check to delete the zip files?
DigitalVolcano
Site Admin

Post by DigitalVolcano »

Sorry, I meant without including the zip files (i.e. unmark folders that contain .zip, or re-scan without including zip files).