google docs

The best solution for finding and removing duplicate files.
petercain0110

google docs

Post by petercain0110 »

firstly, duplicate cleaner is probably one of the best products i have ever used .. and i have tried many .. many thanks ..

i am surprised that a search of google and dcos does not return much of interest.

i am scanning google docs for duplicates .. google likes to duplicate .. which is a pain in the *ss ..

google would also allow a the same physical file to be located in more than two places (cf unix hard link) .. so, while i find many duplicate files i am reluctant to delete them en masse in case i delete everything (which happened before with a far inferior (thoroughly naff) product) .. because deleting one would delete them all .. most annoying ..

so, while duplicate cleaner will locate duplicates, i need still to check every instance and delete manually ..

any suggestions .. or improvements .. i.e. knowing that google docs files are not physically the same ..

also .. delete all duplicates, save the one with the longest pathname ?. i tend to place them first to the root of googles dive and then elsewhere .. or i duplicate for working .. often leaving a duplicate original in another directory ..

thanks

p
DigitalVolcano
Site Admin

Re: google docs

Post by DigitalVolcano »

Well there is the 'Count hardlinks' and 'Ignore hardlinked files in the duplicate list' options in the criteria. That assumes your Google docs are local. If it is some kind of network drive that might not work.

You can always move your duplicates to a temporary holding folder to be safe - that way if anything goes missing you can retrieve them.

There are commands in the Selection Assistant to help select files by path and file name length.
http://www.duplicatecleaner.com/manual/ ... ubmenu.htm