Duplicate Files popup menu discrepancy

The best solution for finding and removing duplicate files.
SpiritedTruthSeeker

Duplicate Files popup menu discrepancy

Post by SpiritedTruthSeeker »

In your online manual you describe the "Duplicate Files popup menu"... first of all, i have purchased your "Pro" program and despite that fact there appear to be differences in the program you're describing and the one i have installed.

in the discussion about the 'Duplicate Files popup menu', you show a #13 ... "Add this folder to Excluded path list" ... , I do NOT have this menu option showing in my "Duplicate Files popup menu".

i had saved a few web pages, so many of the 'duplicates that are on the list are all the icons and various 'pics' that are on each web page which has rendered me 'duplicates in the hundreds of thousands' ... i also do not want to delete these or i will lose my copy of the web page which can no longer be saved

is there a way for me to exclude an entire folder(or folders) that was picked up in a completed duplicate search or do i have to run a new search?

thanks... sts
DigitalVolcano
Site Admin

Re: Duplicate Files popup menu discrepancy

Post by DigitalVolcano »

Hi - Are you sure you installed the Pro version and not the Free one? Did it ask you to enter a code?

If you want to remove a folder from the search results you can select all the files in that folder in the list and click 'drop selected files' - no need to rescan.
SpiritedTruthSeeker

thanks for your quick reply ...

i retyped this in hopes that Digital Volcano would answer me again...

the newer post is below this one

thanks again... sts
Last edited by SpiritedTruthSeeker on Thu Nov 14, 2013 9:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SpiritedTruthSeeker

DigitalVolcano wrote:Hi - Are you sure you installed the Pro version and not the Free one? Did it ask you to enter a code?

If you want to remove a folder from the search results you can select all the files in that folder in the list and click 'drop selected files' - no need to rescan.

thanks for your quick reply ...

the only problem that i have with doing it the manner in which you speak... i've already done a lot of work with the duplicate file list... i've been marking the ones i want to keep so that when i am done, i could then invert selections and the rest would be easy... so far i have over 5000 items selected ... so if i use the 'drop selected files' option... wouldn't that delete everything that i've marked at this point?

and i must apologize... i had used the link for the trial program, but have removed it from my computer now and am definitely using the pro version ...

i did find the "Add this folder to Excluded path list" function, but i'd have to mark each file individually it appears and there are literally 10s of thousands of each of these... since those folders that i want to exclude are a collection of saved web page and i'm doing a duplicate photo search.... and all those little jpegs and gifs on web pages are being picked up in the search...

any suggestions on how i might 'fix' the search i have already worked on and of which i've completed about a 1/3 ... (and that took me hours!)? i'd really hate to lose all my work (selections) at this point...

thanks again... sts
DigitalVolcano
Site Admin

Post by DigitalVolcano »

The 'drop selected' only drops the the highlighted files, not the marked (check marked) ones, so it won't affect your marks. An easy way to do this us to sort by folder name and shift-click the range with the folder name you want to exclude. (Don't shift click the checkboxes though!)
SpiritedTruthSeeker

DigitalVolcano wrote:The 'drop selected' only drops the the highlighted files, not the marked (check marked) ones, so it won't affect your marks. An easy way to do this us to sort by folder name and shift-click the range with the folder name you want to exclude. (Don't shift click the checkboxes though!)

thanks again, Digital Volcano! for your quick reply!

at the risk of appearing dense :oops: ... how the heck do i 'sort by folder name '? for the life of me... i can't figure out how they've been sorted to begin with .... should i want to put them back the way it started...

thanks again, DV! :D
SpiritedTruthSeeker

I figured out the 'sorting' thing.... thanks!
SpiritedTruthSeeker

DigitalVolcano wrote:The 'drop selected' only drops the the highlighted files, not the marked (check marked) ones, so it won't affect your marks. An easy way to do this us to sort by folder name and shift-click the range with the folder name you want to exclude. (Don't shift click the checkboxes though!)

there's still one thing i'm not clear on... :oops: ... you said "The 'drop selected' only drops the the highlighted files" PLURAL ... that is what i'm trying to avoid... picking EACH file individually... there are literally thousands of them...

do i want to "DROP SELECTED FROM LIST" as opposed to "Add this folder to Excluded path list" ???

i am trying to exclude certain file paths... much like the same as one does on the "SCAN LOCATION" TAB" ... such as i did on the original scan here...
ScreenHunter_831 Nov. 13 03.29.jpg
... i just didn't catch all the folders that i wanted to exclude at that time...

also... i don't understand 'shift-click the range'... i've tried what i think it means ... but that does nothing...

thanks again, DV!
sts
DigitalVolcano
Site Admin

Post by DigitalVolcano »

-If you sort the list by 'Path' you can scroll to the files which are in the Path you want to exclude - they will all be together.
-Click (not checkmark) on the first file in that path, then scroll to the last one and shift-click on it. You'll see all the ones in between are now highlighted.
-Right click and then choose 'Drop selected from list' and they will disappear. This way you can remove a whole path range from the list with a few clicks

hope this helps!
SpiritedTruthSeeker

DigitalVolcano wrote:-If you sort the list by 'Path' you can scroll to the files which are in the Path you want to exclude - they will all be together.
-Click (not checkmark) on the first file in that path, then scroll to the last one and shift-click on it. You'll see all the ones in between are now highlighted.
-Right click and then choose 'Drop selected from list' and they will disappear. This way you can remove a whole path range from the list with a few clicks

hope this helps!
oh my gosh, DV! your tip allowed me to cut my duplicate list by 2/3's!!! THANK YOU!

AWESOME!

sts