Version 3.2.1x 64 slower?

The best solution for finding and removing duplicate files.
Nagan

Version 3.2.1x 64 slower?

Post by Nagan »

I have been using 3.0.1 for quiet long , and decided to check out 3.2.1 x 64.
1.My observation is when the options are given and scan begins , it takes nearly 20 seconds to start listing out the numbers of folders and files , whereas 3.0.1 did it immediately. I am not too sure if the whole process till the end is slow , but by the way it started , I think it could be a little slower.

2. I use 800 x 600 res. How can I reduce the font size of the entries in the duplicate window.

3.Suppose I want to start with a clean slate everytime I start DC what will be the settings. The previous scan results may not be too useful for me.

THanks.
therube

Re: Version 3.2.1x 64 slower?

Post by therube »

> 3.2.1 x 64 ... when the ... scan begins, it takes nearly 20 seconds to start listing out the numbers of folders and files
> whereas 3.0.1 did it immediately

Do you see the same with 3.2.1 x86?
On XP (so no x64) I'm not really seeing any difference in the start of a scan between 3.2.1 & 3.0.1.

1. IMO, 3.0.1 & 3.2.1 are slightly different animals, & may work & react differently.
So it comes down to do the changes, enhancements between 3.0 & 3.2 offset "differences" in operation of 3.2?

3. You could set up a batch file to delete %appdata%\DigitalVolcano\DuplicateCleaner\DuplicateCleaner.data.
Unfortunately both program settings & search history are stored in the same file, so your settings would be reverted too.
3.2.2 Pro has the ability to not "display the results of the last scan on startup".
(Not sure if that means that the history is actually deleted or simply not displayed? So not sure how, if, startup time is affected?)
DigitalVolcano
Site Admin

Post by DigitalVolcano »

1 - Yep 3.0.1 and 3.2.1 work differently, so the timings for the stages will differ. It all adds to generally the same though.

2 - You can change the font size of the duplicate list from the 'More Options' window ('Duplicate Files') subtab.

3- Unchecking the 'More Options'->'Show results of last scan at start' option will erase the results upon closedown and start with blank results. Your settings and criteria will be retained. (Note this is available from v3.2.2)
Nagan

Post by Nagan »

The temporary blacking of screen in the 64 bit version , even before deletion of duplicates . But at first look of it , it appears it was slower than 3.0.1. Will continue to test it out...
Nagan

Post by Nagan »

Why do all versions of DC not take focus on starting and instead restore it to the original existing screen?
DigitalVolcano
Site Admin

Post by DigitalVolcano »

Nagan wrote:Why do all versions of DC not take focus on starting and instead restore it to the original existing screen?
This happens in some situations - it's related to the splash screen and is on the 'to-fix' list.