Bug: Show Folder in Windows Explorer goes to wrong path

The best solution for finding and removing duplicate files.
ustincorporated

Bug: Show Folder in Windows Explorer goes to wrong path

Post by ustincorporated »

Hello,

I didn't see a way to report a bug so doing so here. Noticed a problem in the "Duplicate Folders" tab, when I right-click and select "Show Folder in Windows Explorer", these files/folders seem to confuse DCP:

E:\DATA\Some Files\New folder (2)\Support File (July 11, 2011) - Part 3.zip
E:\DATA\Some Files\New folder (3)\Support File (July 11, 2011) - Part 2.zip

Instead of taking me to the proper path (that does exist), instead it takes me to my local user account My Documents folder. Perhaps due to the parenthesis and/or when in combination with .zip files...just a guess though. No problem browsing to the other duplicate folders using "Show Folder in Windows Explorer".

Hope this helps reproduce and fix the issue.

Thank You.
therube

Re: Bug: Show Folder in Windows Explorer goes to wrong path

Post by therube »

Confirmed.

It looks to be a case where 'Show Folder in Windows Explorer' is specifically looking for Folder+Filename (to provide focus on Filename, I would think), & when Filename does not exist, instead simply opening Folder, it instead defaults to %USERPROFILE% with focus on "My Documents".
ustincorporated

Post by ustincorporated »

With my settings a .ZIP is treated as a folder, see below. The fact it's a zip file doesn't seem to be the problem because it works for other zips at least in the "Duplicate Files" tab, see below.

I should have mentioned:
The dupe was rather large at 1.23GB.
In the Options > More Options menu I have Zip file temporary space threshold (MB) = 2,000 MB
I have in the "Scan Location" tab: [X] Scan Subfolders and [X] Scan in Zip files (Treat as folders).

I believe I checked some others in the Duplicate Folders tab that worked but I can't t re-test now because of a de-dupe I'm running -- please verify on your end.

I'm certain in the Duplicate File tab that you can browse to a zip file. Here is an example of one that works as expected:

E:\DATA\Some Files\Files\size count\BIG_FILE_5.4MM_10262011.zip

So when I use "Show Folder in Windows Explorer" it displays contents of zip file as expected.

This leads me to a related question... If I'm on the "Duplicate Folders" tab and have a dupe like this:

A really large unwanted dupe file in a zip (1.23GB) but I want to retain all the other files in the zip.
AND
The same really large 1.23GB in a normal folder.

If I select to delete the version in the zip, does DCP open the zip and delete the file from the zip (keeping the other files intact)? Are there any limitations to this?

Reason I ask is I did this with above mentioned 1.23GB file and DCP spun the hard drive for over 5 minutes before I became concerned and clicked Cancel. Cancel didn't seem to work, then about a minute later it showed the message the file was deleted anyway at which time both the folder I wish to retain with the 1.23GB file and the the dupe in the zip file "folder" dropped off the Duplicate Folders UI making me think they were both deleted. I then browsed and found they were both still there...thankfully.

As a result I hesitate to attempt a future de-dupe like this although I have hundreds that would benefit from this sort of de-dupe.

Again, awesome program and "Duplicate Folders" is my favorite feature, very fast way to delete many dupes from unwanted backups on other drives or directories. Keep up the good work :D
DigitalVolcano
Site Admin

Post by DigitalVolcano »

Yes, DC defaults to the user folder if the file is missing (actually Windows Explorer is doing this, DC just passes the folder/file along without checking if it exists).

ustincorporated wrote: If I select to delete the version in the zip, does DCP open the zip and delete the file from the zip (keeping the other files intact)? Are there any limitations to this?
It should open the zip and delete just the specified file. I'm not sure what happened with your huge zip - maybe the zipping library failed on the file? DC must have thought the delete worked as it dropped both files from the list (the deleted file and the file you kept). Probably worth trying on a copy without hitting cancel just to see if there is a problem with removing large files from zips.
thanks!